My son is sick ... when is it time to bring him in?

So he was totally fine friday then woke up saturday at 5am crying he was hot..well he had 103.5 temp. I called the nurseline for advice, gave him tylenol as motrin is far too hard on his stomache - we controlled it to 102 dressed him lightly and most of the weekend he was in only a diaper - cool wash cloths to the forehead, armpits, body as often as possible. he stayed hydrated with water but would barely eat and would not take ice cream or juices of any kind sat. he woke from a nap with 104.2 once again got it down to 102 but it didn't go lower, he laid on the couch the entire weekend.. and for a 2-1/2 yr old boy, that's HUGE - he threw up 2 times and diarreha once.. he seemed back to normal this morning no fever and playing like normal - now 4 hours later he's back to a fever and sleeping.. I get tired of being send away with "its a virus, it will run its course" how long is too long of off and on sickness ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on May. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it's fine. It does have to run its course. You can't do anything but try to keep him comfortable. Keep in mind when you think of days he's been sick, think of it in increments of 24 hours. So Friday at noon, till Saturday at noon is one day. Feels like forever. My guess is he's on the mend. But if he throws up again it's pretty normal. Usually the diarrhea is a sign it's on it's way out. If the fever is GONE for a few days and returns, take him in.
    Anonymous

• If it were my child, and I had the fever pretty much under control, I would let him sleep as much as he wants today, keep pushing fluids, and give the Tylenol as often as the label says. Then first thing tomorrow, if he is still feverish, call to get that appointment. Generally, I give them 3-4 days to let a "virus run its coarse". But if his fever spikes really high again today and 103 is the lowest you can bring it down, then call today!

Good Luck!! Hopefully it is just a virus and he'll be back to his old happy self before you know it!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:17 PM on May. 17, 2010

• fever's are higher in the pm then the am, might be why he seemed fine. I'd call your dr & tell em what you just told us, however if it is just a virus then this is really all you can do. Antibiotics don't work on viruses, there are antivirals but they are saved for more severe viruses. Keep him cool & hydrated, no icecream, sugar works against your whiteblood cells & delays you getting better. Also look for fruit juices w/ low sugar. Have you given him any pedialyte?
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 1:21 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I would bring him in and if they give it's a virus then I would tell them that you want more then that. His fever should gone and it's not and he is fine one minute and then next he is on the couch with a high fever. Not okay.... I would call them and tell them everything you just told us and have him be seen. It's 3 days with a fever. If you want to see how the rest of the day goes and see how the night goes then bring him in tomorrow that's a thought but if the fever is still here tomorrow I would not think twice about bring him in. GL and I hope your baby boy feels better soon.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:22 PM on May. 17, 2010

• If he is otherwise fine... no problems breathing, and drinking enough to stay hydrated then I would just keep giving Tylenol and Motrin. If he has a fever over 101 for more than a week or develops worrisome symptoms then I would bring him in... otherwise I would just wait it out because it's most likely a virus.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:17 PM on May. 17, 2010