Why do people assume that homeschooled kids never leave the house and don't know how to talk to people?

It's not like we keep our kids chained up in a windowless room. At this moment, yes, my kids ARE at home but in a little while, they'll be going to piano lessons and this evening, they'll be going to Tae Kwon Do. They'll also be playing with their friends in the neighborhood, going to church, playing with their friends in our homeschooling group and going to a birthday party on Saturday. The "socialization" myth is a dead horse, stop beating it!!

Bethsunshine

Asked by Bethsunshine at 1:14 PM on May. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe because they don't intimatelyknow any home school families?? My kids are in public school, but we have home school friends. They really seem to get more "social time" then my kids do when they are in school. It seems to be really helpful when home school kids are part of a home-school-group. All the ones I know belong to a large home-school-group.  They regularly get together with their group for activities, and even field trips. Its very cool. If I could, I would home school too.

*** BTW *** I was pretty clueless about HS before we really got to be friend with some home schooling families.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:21 PM on May. 17, 2010

• It just depends on how much their parents involve them in activities. You are a good mom. Don't let anyone tell you any differently. Homeschooled kids are different. Im sure there are some who don't get socialized and some that do. There is no reason to judge anyone.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:16 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Because some are like that. That's why it's a generalization. I don't believe it at all. I think for some it's perfectly fine, the children turn out normal well adjusted kids. But some don't. The reverse is true of course for public schooled kids.

I have a friend who homeschools and her kids are fine. She teaches based on the bible which is her prerogative. However, my brother in law homeschools and their kids are weird. They can't play with other kids, the oldest is almost 10 can't count money, doesn't know the value of coins, things like that. They teach to their kids strengths. The middle one likes to draw so it's art all day. The oldest plays piano, so it's music all day. Oh and they have to count in five languages but no math, or anything like that to speak of.

They are the ones that give homeschool parents a bad name.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 1:21 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I don't know why people would assume this, I surely don't. It sounds like your doing a great job educating them at home and still giving them the social time that they need. Screw what others have to say about it
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 1:22 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I am a homeschooler but I used to think that too. AT the time I was an AWANA leader at church and there was one child there who was homeschooled. She was very shy. Refused to talk to anyone. And stayed by her mother's side all the time. She was in a class for younger kids because she didn't want to be with the older kids. I saw her as closed off and this formed my opinion of homeschoolers. Until years later when my child was having a hard time in public school and I had to consider homeschooling myself. Suddenly I met tons of people with all different experiences that opened my eyes to what it really is all about. So now my view has changed but ironically MY daughter is now the one viewed as shy and needy. She has add, and sensory integration disorder, she is very shy, and struggles with other medical issues, but people can't see those and don't realize there are reasons for her being this way.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:23 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Social isolation also comes from only socializing with other un/homeschoolers... It is from being chained into that subculture. Not necessarily that they do not ever see people, it is a matter of the control that a parent excessively exhibits regarding their childrens social life, by involving them in this subculture
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:25 PM on May. 17, 2010

• maybe because some parents are very lazy and they do their child no justice by home schooling them. Other parents do a far better job than public school. Its a mixed bag. Sounds like you are a good parent for home schooling. Kudos to you for being able to do that for your kids.

Anonymous

• Social isolation also comes from only socializing with other un/homeschoolers...

And kids who are public schooled aren't isolated? They're closed up in a room with 20 other kids who are the same age they are and not even allowed to talk to them most of the day, maybe 20 minutes if they're lucky!!!!! If THAT"S not isolation, I don't know what is!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:27 PM on May. 17, 2010

• You brought it up. You are beating the dead horse.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:28 PM on May. 17, 2010

This is in response to another question that someone else asked in regards to homeschooling and one of the reasons that kept coming up about WHY some woudn't do it is because of the "socialization" aspect.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:30 PM on May. 17, 2010