How old was your child when you left them at home without supervision??

My stepdaughter is 13 and her mother requires that she not be left home alone though she is very mature for her age. I was just curious - we will have her 2 weeks this summer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on May. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I can leave my 11 year old for very short periods. (30-90 minutes is my comfort zone, though she could handle longer) According to the law here, I can leave her up to 4 hours. It all depends on how mature the child is though. Some kids at 13 can't be left for a minute... yet other kids at 13 are baby sitting younger kids (I know I was!! And I made a fortune in summer baby sitting jobs!!)

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:45 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I have a son that is 16 & it wasn't until this year that we started letting him stay home alone! He has a diagnosis of High Functioning Autism that makes him about the maturity of a 13-14 year old & that is why we waited until he was 16.

Anonymous

• My son was 7 1/2.
    I worked across the street from our apartment buildings and his school was around the corner...a 4 minute walk.
    He got off school at 3:30 and I had to work until 4. So he would walk home and be there by hiimself until I got home.
    I did want him to come to my work instead but he wasn't allowed, just because other people would have started taking advantage of the fact that I was bringing him to work for 1/2 hour, some would have wanted to bring thiers in all day and then claimed predjudice if I was allowed and they werent even though it was totally different circumstance.
    Just wanted to explain that,lol.
    Anway...he also had a cell phone to carry with him and beeped my soon as he got in the door.
    It worked out well and I think he made him a little more responsible through the years.
    Anonymous

• just out of curiosity, I googled this and found that there are a LOT of kids that start baby sitting around 13 years old. If I were you, I would try to let her take a baby sitting course while she is with you. Wouldn't that be the smackers when she goes home as a certified, CPR trained, ready and able to baby sit..... 13 year old!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:49 PM on May. 17, 2010

• My parents started having me stay hom ealone at the age of 12 to babysit my 3 younger siblings during the summers while they were at work .
    Anonymous

• VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:53 PM on May. 17, 2010

• when i turned nine my parents started leaving my home alone.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 2:07 PM on May. 17, 2010

• My boys were both 10 when I started to leave them for short periods of time. Now my oldest is 13 and the other is 11. The 11 year old, I leave him home for a couple hours at a time if I am just on base, like 10 minutes from the house to any point I go to on base. I do call every 30 minutes or so to check in though. The oldest is of legal age to babysit, so he has watched my 5 year old for up to 30 minutes before while i run to or from my DH's work to pick him up but that's it. He is also allowed to stay home for a few hours at a time, but they know when I call they have to answer the phone or they are in major trouble! They know the rules (no cooking other than the microwave, no answering the door at all, no answering the phone unless it is me or DH calling, and absolutely no having friends over!) But then again they are very mature and responsible for their age.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:35 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I was home alone at 10 or 11, ALL night. My mother was a single mother who worked 11PM-7AM (Which means she left at 10, and got home at 8). She fed me dinner, and left. I was in charge of my bedtime, getting myself ready for school, making the school bus. I chose what I wanted to do, and did it well! People need to have more trust in their children. A little responsibility can go a long way! I like the babysitting course idea! She'll be certified to take care of OTHER children.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 4:05 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I was around 11 years old, but I was also mature for my age (at least around the home because my mom would've lost her mind if anything went wrong). Personally I won't leave my kids unattended until they are at least 13 and then it depends on their maturity levels.
    Anonymous