Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Class 1 allergy?

My son was tested for allergies last week and registered with a class 1 allergy to milk. All the nurse said was that it was a low allergy, then told me to have a nice day. I've tried looking online for information and put a call back in to the doc office-- but I'm wondering what that means-- obviously he's not breaking out into hives or going into anaphylatic shock or anything.. but what am I supposed to DO, if anything??

Answer Question
 
AMsMommy212

Asked by AMsMommy212 at 1:47 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 9 (331 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Traditionally RAST tests have been reported as Class 0 to Class 5 or 6. Class 0 indicates no allergy, while a Class 5 or 6 indicates high allergy. So, the higher the class, the more likely a person is to react negatively when exposed to the allergen.
    mom2aspclboy

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:36 PM on May. 17, 2010

  • I appreciate your googling but I got that part.. what I dont know is what I am supposed to do-- or not do-- when my child has a level 1 allergy to milk. I already know he doesnt have any kind of immediate horrible reactions--- but do I need to start eliminating milk products, or just limiting his intake.. or nothing at all with such a minor level.
    AMsMommy212

    Answer by AMsMommy212 at 3:16 PM on May. 17, 2010

  • Okay....With a class 1 allergy, it will depend on your child's age. For a child under 3, I would totally avoid the allergen to prevent continued exposure, which could make the allergy worse, plus there's always a chance they'll outgrow such a mild allergic reaction if they avoid the food until they're a little older. If your child is already of school age or older, I would limit intake to tolerance.

    My son is very intolerant to dairy proteins, so for the most part we just avoid dairy, but he can tolerate having a real ice cream or slice of cheese pizza every once in a while without having a reaction. There are tons of cow's milk dairy substitutes, so not being able to have lots of dairy doesn't mean he's going to be deprived of the "good stuff". My son loves coconut milk ice cream, I bake with almond milk & you can't even tell the difference, and I make pizza with rice cheese.
    mom2aspclboy

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:42 PM on May. 17, 2010

  • Actually a test result does NOT indicate what type or reaction an allergic person may have. It is possible to test low (in this case a Class 1) and have severe reactions. It's also possible to test high and have mild ones. Nor is it safe to say that because he's had no severe reactions to date he'll not have them in the future.

    Why was your son tested in the first place? Has there been a reaction? Did you test at the pediatrician or an allergist? Was the allergist a specialist in food allergies or a primarily experienced in environmentals? RAST (aka blood tests) and SPT (aka skin tests) can be negative. If there were no previous reactions or reason to suspect milk, I'd talk to an allergist with food allergy experience about an in-office food challenge. Reactions always trump test results. in the interim, an allergic individual should *not* consume his or her allergens (cont next post)
    ldmrmom

    Answer by ldmrmom at 4:39 PM on May. 18, 2010

  • Sorry, first let me correct a typo - RAST and SPTs can be a false positive. It's possible to come up positive to something you're not allergic to in the first place. If there has been no reaction prior, then I'd look for the food challenge.

    Ok, to the other - the only way to prevent food allergy reactions (mild or severe) is to avoid the allergen. My DD is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish. She did not react to any of them the first few times she had them. She had a mild reaction the first time she reacted. Subsequent reactions were more severe. It's also possible that a food allergy is triggering cold like symptoms, eczema, etc. These are not severe things but still not worth risking. personally? I'd call the (or an if you''ve not alreayd) allergist with FA experience and make an appt now. Ask for advice on what to avoid, what sort of precautions to take, etc.
    ldmrmom

    Answer by ldmrmom at 4:44 PM on May. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Kids' Health
help plz

Next question overall (Toddlers (1-2))
Jealous of the new baby :(