would you go directly to sensitive formula?...

my baby is very sensitive to anything i eat (seems to be in a lot of pain, and dr pt on rx mylicon) ... i have been breastfeeding and would like to transition to formula. (please no bashing, its a hard decision already.) my question is - would you go directly to sensitive formula? or just reguar? I kind of think as long as he gets the same thing consistantly he wont be as sensitive, but i am just assuming. ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could use Enfamil Gentelease. Why not? It's not more expensive. I used it on my daughter.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:00 PM on May. 17, 2010

• even the most sensitive formula is still harsher than breastmilk. How old is your baby? I noticed with my bfed babies that were sensitive to things I ate that their digestive systems were more mature around 3 months old and there were no issues with my milk, no matter what I ate. Is that why you want to wean from the breast? because your baby is senstive to the foods you eat?
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:00 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I would go to sensitive just to be on the safe side, similac makes one that is just for gassy babies maybe try that one first then once he is a little older you can try regular formula if you want. Good luck I know its a hard decision to make but you are doing what you feel is best for your baby.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 2:02 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Why don't you change you eating habits first? And see if that helps.
    Anonymous

• It is very unlikely what you are eating. Thogh sometimes dairy for some reason causes issue in rare cases.

What are thebaby's symptoms. What makes you think there is a problem in the first place? Is it gas? You might have a forceulletdown making the baby gulp air...that is easily fixed. www.kellymom.com Does the baby burp or spitup a lot? Are you sure it is stomach pain? When does this happen? More info would be helpful!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:24 PM on May. 17, 2010

• No. I wouldnt go directly to sensitive- Id ask the doctor. If it has to do with the food you eat- it has nothing to do with what formula is compromised of.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 2:57 PM on May. 17, 2010

• It depends on what your baby is sensitive to. My DD was sensitive to dairy when I was nursing but I didn't know it. When I put her on formula I just happened to put her on the one formula that doesn't have casein (a milk protein) which is the Gerber Good Start. Had I put her on anything else she would have reacted horribly because of her allergy. So I just got the luck of the draw but basically it depends on what your baby is sensitive to. I would start by mixing some pumped milk with the formula you choose and see how your child does. And maybe try not to let your milk dry up before you have a good formula in place. After weaning I found out about several food allergies my DD has. If I would have known I would have changed my diet and nursed longer because now the foods she can have are limited and I feel I could have filled that gap for her by continuing to nurse had I known. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:48 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Do you know yet what's making your baby react? And what are the symptoms? Your risk is that ANY formula will make things WORSE. Not bashing. Stating facts. We want to make things better here...so let's see if we can't work within current parameters to improve the situation.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:54 PM on May. 17, 2010

• dairy is the #1 food intolerance, so if you have not tried cutting that from your diet, you may want to. also, as someone else already mentioned, a newborn's digestive system is still immature for a little while. are you on any medications? i had a friend that put a bit of milk in her tea in the morning, but even that through the breast milk gave her baby eczema. i agree with the others when they suggest working with your diet before switching to formula. many doctors seem to be very quick to give medications...your baby's liver is not fully functioning until 6 months, so be careful with that too!
    sorry you are having a difficult time! i know as a mom, we just want our babies to be happy and comfortable!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:35 PM on May. 17, 2010

• If you are looking to make baby MORE uncomfortable and in constant pain switch to formula BUT if you are worried about baby do everything you have to to continue to breastfeed. As Gdiamante stated it is absolute fact that formula (no matter what kind) will make it so much worse for your baby. Have you done the elimination diet? & if so how long have you been on it?

Anonymous