I really want to be able to keep plants alive!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Hey ladies. I have a problem =[ I absolutely LOVE plants and flowers, but I can't for the life of me keep them alive =[ and truth is, I really know nothing about caring for plants or gardening. But I would LOVE to learn. Currently I have a Bamboo plant, I just got it yesterday and it is turning yellow already. I tried searching for Bamboo care online and got a million different answers. Some say it should be left pretty dry, others say a big vase with enough water in it so the roots are fully submerged. Any idea on which is correct? And is anyone willing to help me learn how to grow, plant, and maintain a garden?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 2:03 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Is the bambo in a pot? Put it in a sunny window. Water it once a week really good.. Make sure the pot has holes in the bottom.

Answer by louise2 at 2:12 PM on May. 17, 2010

• the bamboo is in a vase with water @ the moment. It was bought in stalks. And the chinese lady (barely spoke english) said "Needs be in water." So I got a big glass vase and put some bottled water in it, enough so that the roots are all in the water.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 2:27 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I have some miracle grow moisture control potting soil. should I put that in the vase?
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 2:28 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I think if it is turning yellow that is a sign that it has had too much water.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 3:20 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Yes put in in the poting soil you have. I like plants and have a lot of different ones. Some times when you first get a plant it goes into shock. Change of light , change of air, just moving a plant from one window to the other will shock a plant. So do not give up on it yet. Google bambo see what it says about it. Bamboo is a tropical plant I think. Likes a lot of sun.

Answer by louise2 at 3:32 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Another thing. Plants do not like water straight from the tap. Put some water in a milk jug or something and let it set ,top off for a day before you water any plant.

Answer by louise2 at 3:34 PM on May. 17, 2010

• We just fly by the seat of our pants and hope for the best when it comes to plants at our house. LOL. We have a jasmine in a pot outside that has survived about four or five years with pretty much no maintenance other than about ten minutes from the sprinkler. We have some other plants that are doing okay, the jury is still out on them, but that jasmine is thriving. We even had to add a little trellis thing because it was getting a little out of control.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:39 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I am so like you on the not being able to maintain plants thing! I hope that you got it to thrive!!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Have you stopped by your local florist and asked them....my gram had one and I know I would over water it then basically let it dry out. I don't recall seeing any yellow so you may want to ask a florist
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 28, 2010