How long after starting potty training did you stop buying diapers/pull ups/etc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My first daughter day trained at 19 months and now, right before her third b-day, is just starting to occasionally wake up dry in the morning. My little one, on the other hand, just day trained and she is also dry in the mornings, even more often than the older one. She's almost 20 months. So I think for the older one, we will be getting rid of the night time pull-ups probably something like 1.5 years after training, and the little one, very shortly after... but that's because night training is a different ball game, I'm a very fervent believer in no daytime diapers or pull-ups while day training, even for outings, roadtrips, etc. But for sleep, I'd say let them go as long as they need to in a diaper...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:18 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Night time training can take a lot longer. Years even. My oldest son was MUCH older when he finally trained at night. My younger 2, I only bought 2 or 3 packages of pull ups before they were night time trained.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:13 PM on May. 17, 2010

• the very determined parents usually stop buying/using diapers as soon as potty training starts. I personally will still use diapers overnight till my son will get daytime training down. once he gets the hang of things, and can hold it all in better, no more diapers. I really look forward to skipping the diaper aisle at the store lol. I bought him some cloth training pants instead of the expensive disposable pull-ups
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:14 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Immediately. We quit all that cold turkey. I set aside a week to train him. We went to buy undies and told him he wa big and didn't need baby diapers anymore. He already showed the signs...and was 2.5 and it took around 3 or 4 days. So, no need for any
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:22 PM on May. 17, 2010

• We made the potty available to Kiwi since she was 18 months old and she stopped using the diapers on her own at 2.5. She wanted to go to school and knew she couldn't in diapers. One day she woke up from nap dry and peed in the potty and put some panties on. That was that, no accidents except a couple poop ones during the day. I think it would be confusing to go back and forth.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:17 PM on May. 17, 2010