Can I take Acai Berry Cleanse if I bf twice a day?

I nurse my 14 mo in the morning and at night (we r starting to wean) and I was wondering if I can start this 14 day acai berry cleanse? its not a diet pill, just an antioxidant berry extract pill that's suppose to help detoxify me and help clear my bowels of backed up waste. Is it safe while still nursing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no you can't have it while your nursing
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:41 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't do any of that kind of stuff, nursing or not. Not healthy. If you want to take ANYTHING while still breastfeeding you need to ask the Peditrician
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:54 PM on May. 17, 2010

• No cleanses till weaning, sorry.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:49 PM on May. 17, 2010

• i agree with none of that while nursing, or pregnant for that matter. and just as a rule of thumb...if you can't do it while nursing or breastfeeding, you probably shouldn't be doing it.
    i did a vegetable juice cleanse/ fast. i learned that i did not have anything backed up. your body has a built in cleansing system. the best way to cleanse, honestly, is to not put junk into your body. there are some veggies that are good for they digestive system, dark thick leafy greens, broccoli, getting enough good fiber is important too, i like brown rice the best. the more things are processed, i believe the less goodness they contain ( so i prefer brown rice to brown bread and brown pasta)
    those are just my thoughts!
    congrats on breastfeeding so long!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:23 PM on May. 17, 2010

• No because all the stuff you are cleansing out of your system will go right into your milk. if you really want to feed all that stuff to your LO then I guess you could. I personally used to do a juice fast once a year, but I have been pregnant or nursing or both since August of 2005 and have not done it. My youngest just weaned a few weeks ago at the age of 3 years and I am so excited to do a fast again.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:38 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Those are NEVER safe, let alone while BFing. I assure you, your GI tract is able to handle what you have going through it. How exactly would there be backed up waste? If you've ever taken an anatomy or physiology course, you'd understand how ridiculous those claims are, and you'd understand why they're dangerous.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:17 PM on May. 18, 2010