Which would you rather have?

A) a child who was a straight A+ student, but totally socially retarded.

or

B) a child who makes Bs and Cs, but has more than great interpersonal/social skills

(BOTH is NOT and option...in this question, you must choose one or the other)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on May. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• B. Having social relationships is an important part of being happy in life. Even with B's and C's my kids can still go on to higher educations after highschool and work in a field that makes them happy. I got A's in highschool but had only a few close friends, after college I sort of blossomed socially and am in a much better place in my personal life now.
    Anonymous

• I am going to go with B ......but as a parent I would hope to have both !
    mommymandaleigh

Answer by mommymandaleigh at 3:02 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I would go with B. They could get a tutor to raise the grades but a child with poor interpersonal skills has a much harder time being successful.
    Anonymous

• B obviously. Because honestly, my husband was the straight A person in school and I was the B C student. I have the college degree and he doesn't (because he couldn't afford it to go full time straight through). However, he is a pilot now with the military, which in itself is difficult to get accepted into that and to get through it. But I am just saying, the grades are only important in highschool. I was never asked at an interview what my GPA was in school or college. Nor did they determine my success and work. That's all personal skills there!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 3:05 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I'm going with A only because I was reading Einsteins Bio. lol
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 3:07 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I'm going to say B. In today's society, social skills are needed. It seems like its less about what you know and more about who you know in most situations.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 3:07 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Wow. So anything less than straight A's is now stupid? Umm...okayyyyy. I'm going to consider the sources on that one.
    Anonymous

• I'd rather have a child who's happy. Whether they get straight A's or passing grades as long as they're happy. Their social happiness is based on them and what they want.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:32 PM on May. 17, 2010

• B
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:00 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Totally Option B!

Socialization, and the ability to get along with people is WAY more important in the long run than perfect grades.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:31 PM on May. 18, 2010