How to deal with a negative person...

I am a very "positive" person ( very happy... always looking on the bright side) I am usually able to talk to people and get along with everyone pretty well.......

Until I met my future SIL - she is just such a negative person ... I always try to talk to her, make conversation, include her in things...but it is just too hard ! Like yesterday we were at a family thing , we sat beside each other at the dinner table I tried to talk to her and everything that came out of her mouth was something she hated or something that she was complaining about ( almost everything I said she was like OMG, dont even get me started on that, I cant stand -Blank- ..she said that for EVERYTHING ....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Sound like my mom. She can take any happy situation and find something wrong. Sometimes I have to take a break and not call her for awhile. It's exhausting to be around her. She sucks the life right out of you.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:17 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I have had to work really hard to keep myself from being the negative person. I've just decided that it's a learned habit, from being surrounded by other negative people. My mom and dad are both negative, my friends therefore were negative, etc. My husband is the first positive influence in my life, and he's done a work on me, lol.

I would say just to try your best to ignore it, because one day, she will come out of her shell, she'll talk about what she LIKES for a change, I promise.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:18 PM on May. 17, 2010

• You will totally have to keep her at arm's length. This toxicity is bad. At least you know up front. From now on, just let her spill her negative thoughts and don't add much to the conversation. Try to avoid her.
    Anonymous

• Try not to spend too much time around her people like that tend to put a damper on things...negativity spreads like wildifire....so when you are talking to her stay as positive as possible and maybe you can pass along some of your positive vibes!
    proudmamafeb

Answer by proudmamafeb at 3:22 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Then don't spend that much time trying to be friendly to her. Be civil, but avoid conversation with her.
    You have no obligation to be her friend.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:25 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Yes My x was like that and is still like that everything is bad and everyone is bad even if something good happens he still hammers on the person. He complains about everything I would keep this person close but not to close do not ruin your own positive attitude by sinking to her level.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:32 PM on May. 17, 2010

• My own sister is super negative, she told me off and kicked me out of her house, so I finally told That bitch to fuck Off. excuse my french... but you will never be able to deal with these type of people.. Now I see my sister at family gatherings and she gives me these really dumb stares like if nothing happened. Negative people will always try to fuck positive people over because they envy your happy glow...
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 7:28 AM on May. 18, 2010