Are Silly Bandz dangerous?

Hi,

My son is obsessed with these things, and I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before his school bans them. He has attention issues as it is (he's a first grader) and I can't imagine these bands are helping that issue when he's already so distracted.

I'm writing a post for The Stir blog about the dangers of Silly Bandz, both physically due to circulation problems, and academically and socially. I've heard stories of kids shooting them at others on the bus.

I'd love all you teachers to chime in on what you think of these Bands and any problems you've encountered. Should they be banned from school?

Let me know, thanks, moms.

Cynthia

Cafe Cynthia

Asked by Cafe Cynthia at 3:31 PM on May. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Im not a teacher but if I was i would use them being so popular for my good They like to trade them so i would tell them if you are good during the day and don't get in trouble the people on the good list can have the last 5 mins of class to "trade" them they prob would be good...my 4 year old likes them too she don't take them to school b/c i knwo she would be playing with them alot
    Anonymous

• OMG I just got an email about free shipping on these things.. I could totally see how distracting they could be! Its like having a toy at school! I think that if I ever got them for my kids that they wouldnt be allowed to school or anything like dance, sports, etc... just because you dont give a child a toy to take to school... or to any other place like that! I think that they should be banned.... just like toys are! :)
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:35 PM on May. 17, 2010

• They are banned from my daughter's school. I'm bummed about it because she really enjoyed trading them. Do you really think they can cause circulation problems? That is ridiculous!! My kids love them - all 3! I think they are a great, inexpensive, fun thing to wear, collect and trade. I don't see a negative side.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:35 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Thats my sons new "thing" too,lol. And they do look really tight. I always ask him about it, he says he doesnt feel tight. I'm sure its only a matter of tme before they get banned from school. My son told me the only thing they do is trade them at recess..but I'm sure they get flicked atr eachother once in awhile,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:36 PM on May. 17, 2010

• My kids love them, and they enjoy trading them. Their teachers have told them if they get caught playing with them during class they will be taken away - and I think that's a fair way to deal with it. I don't have a problem with them, they're cute, inexpensive and fun for the kids. My nephew/niece's school hands them out as "prizes" for being good, getting homework done, etc.

Answer by missanc at 3:41 PM on May. 17, 2010

• OMG, you've heard that kids shoot each other on the bus with colored rubber bands! Surprise, surprise, surprise! Don't you find it really absurd and reactionary to make a big deal out of colored rubber bands shaped like things?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:44 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Why are you trying to find danger in them? How could they possibly be socially dangerous? Are you going to make up a bunch of horror stories?
    Anonymous

• When I was in school we carried around baseball cards and traded them... I see no harm in them. I do feel that they should be taken away from students who are being distracted or distracting with them. No need to punish the whole school because a few students are not acting appropriately.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:08 PM on May. 17, 2010

• They are nothing more than fancy rubber bands. Of course the kids are shooting them at each other and of course schools are banning them. Duh. If you feel that they will distract your child, don't let them wear them to school.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:55 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I am a teacher. The craze has just caught up with my students in the last week. They've been told one problem with them and they will be banned. I don't think they're any worse than other fads, but they have potential to be a distraction. And a distraction that can be flung is even worse than your run of the mill distraction. I teach in a very economically depressed area, so I doubt many of the kids parents will be shelling out the money for them anyway. At least that's what I hope.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 6:39 PM on May. 17, 2010