I am bothered by what my SS's mother told him so I tried to fix it...

My SS gets in my car and starts talking politics! I have no idea why because he's only 9. So I listen to him and try to add to the conversation as age appropriate as possible. Then he tells me... And that stupid BLACK guy trying to run government. He doesn't know a dang thing. He's only president because of all the lazy blk ppl!! And before he coudl finish I was like.. WAIT WAIT!! I told him don't ever say that junk again. I told him that ppl voted for him beacuse they believed he was the best candidate and his race had NOTHING to do with it. Well some time goes on and he uses the N word talking about a blk person walking down the street. So we have a huge talk about why that isn't appropriate. Well he goes home last night and his mother calls me this morning and asked why I brainwashed her child. I didn't do that. I explained equality. Was I in the wrong? I just don't want him saying that stuff to other children or anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• It sounds like his mom is force feeding simple-minded opinions. He's just a walking recorder of mom. How sad. That little kid is going to get beat up in school, and it will be her fault.
    Anonymous

• No! You were definitely correct to explain to him how wrong racism is! Tell her that SHE is the one brainwashing him. A 9 year old shouldn't even KNOW the N word, let alone putting down people simply because of their race. Next thing you know she'll be telling him how wrong it is to be homosexual, and he'll be using the F word. I would simply reinforce what you've told him EVERY TIME you see him. Tell his mother that you intend to give him an equal view of the world, not just her side.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 4:07 PM on May. 17, 2010

• No you were NOT wrong to tech a child that those words and actions are not ok. for those who choose to teach their kids this, sorry YOU are the minority, and need to deal with the reality that people will not tolerate it, even from a child. This is yet another way teaching racist propaganda to kids is damaging to them, they are in a minority(which they claim to hate) and people will judge THEM. I would have done the same thing and would have said to the birth mom that teaching her child hate speech is wrong and it doesnt fly in your home. you dont tell her how to talk in her home, she cant tell you how you want to talk or be talked to in yours(including the car) stick to your guns mama. IMO? that teaching is child abuse.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:08 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Sadly it was about race. If he had been white there would not have been the voter turn out that did. I do think that its sad that his Mom is obviously a person who disagrees with Obama just because of his color and not because of his actual actions.
    Anonymous

• oh no, I think you did the right thing here. I mean he could say that in the wrong crowd and get beat up. Teaching against racism and hate is never a bad thing.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:11 PM on May. 17, 2010

• no anon whats sad is she also taught him the N word meaning she uses it and obviously used it in reference to our PRESIDENT. whatever
    op what does hubby think about all this? I would want my son out of her house.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:12 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Why isn't your husband correcting him? It's his place to be involved in this one.
    Anonymous

• Anon 410 here, I didn't even mention his use of the N word because it is so inappropriate, I thought that would pretty much be self explanatory.
    Anonymous

• Maybe he didn't hear if from his mom.Maybe she thought you told him all that stuff.I'd talk to his mom later about it if she would.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 2:20 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Although you did the right thing, your ss has already mentioned this to someone else before and heard it too often in his household. Unfortunately, your ss may grow up to be a racist person like his mom. The only thing you can do is talk with your dh about the problem and see where he stands on getting your ss the correct information and the right way to treat others...Good luck...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:34 PM on May. 18, 2010