Spin off question: Do you think getting your teen birth control is giving them permission to have sex?

I mean there are different reasons for girls to be on the pill. I was on the pill at 15 because my periods would give me severe cramping and would keep me home from school once a month. The birth control pills helped simmer my cramps down by ALOT. But of course everyone thought my mom was giving me permission to have sex, which I wasn't. I didn't lose my virginity til I was 17.

But I think if teens ARE sexually active and parents get them on the pill or whatever, they ARE giving them permission. I guess it's good to be responsible, but when they are young they should be doing whatever it takes to get them to wait. JMO though.

What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on May. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nope!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:36 PM on May. 17, 2010

• No. I fully intend to put my teen on birth control. But I also will not give her opportunity to have sex. If she ends up doing it she's going to have to be pretty sneaky. I hope she's smart enough to make wise choices.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:38 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Yes.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:39 PM on May. 17, 2010

• If they are big enough to have sex they are big enough to get it themselves.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:40 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I would NEVER put my daughter on birth control because of the effects it can have on her developing body.
    SaraP1989

• I plan on being open with my daughter and letting her know that when she feels ready for sex then she should tell me and I will get it for her. I will also discourage her but being a teen mother has taught me that it is better to be open and offer the birth control then to just have her go behind my back and do it unprotected.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 4:44 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Not necessarily but I have other reasons why I would never put my teen daughter on BC. I posted in another question that I know several women, 2 of them relatives, that have been on BC from a young age and could not get pregnant once they were married and ready to start a family. Both of my cousins had to get IVF and doctors couldn't find a single thing wrong with either of them as to why they couldn't concieve. They both have been on BC pills for 10+ years though. I was sick for 2 years straight when I was on YAZ as well. I just don't think its the way to go. You are messing with nature and you won't win in that situation. Not to mention CONDOMS STILL NEED TO BE USED! Birth control pills don't protect you from STDS! And STDS are EVERYWHERE now. When you put your teen on BC pills, the first thing they are going to think is that they don't need to use condoms.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:46 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I use to think if I told my son (now 19). about condoms it was saying he could. I was taught that from church. However in later years I began talking to him about it with the stipulation that he really should wait. As far as my daughter (only 4). I have mixed feelings about that. I will definitely preach abstinence but would probably put her on birth control as well. It just depends. I am not against it and no I do not feel like it will tell her to have sex. I think it is a safety issue. I will always preach abstinence no matter what I do.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 4:46 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I don't really know. It's better that they have birth control if they going to do it anyway. A baby can really change everything.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:48 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Nope.I dont get HOW people think that.its called being protected.THE chance.If a parent fails to let a child get birth control when asked the parent is at FULL fault for that pregnancy.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 4:54 PM on May. 17, 2010