Will you participate- take your kid to the park and leave- let them play alone?

http://www.creators.com/liberal/lenore-skenazy.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on May. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with her..

"Over the past two years, I have heard from thousands of parents who wish their kids could have the kind of childhood THEY had, playing kickball or stickball or jump-rope till dusk. That just-add-kid fun is rare today because we have been told by the media that "times have changed" and that our children are in terrible danger the second they step outside. But are they?

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the crime rate today is lower, nationally, than it was in the '70s and '80s, when most of us parents were playing outside."

We have been told how dangerous it is and so we don't send our kids out. But I think it is detrimental to our kids to be in all day. Kids need exercise.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:00 PM on May. 17, 2010

• God no!!!
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:39 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Umm NO!
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 4:39 PM on May. 17, 2010

• OKay, first of all, all the neighborhood kids around here play outside all the time. I just have a problem with my son crossing the street without an adult and all the kids just running around without supervision. She may think it's "safer", but I'm not taking any chances with my children. My kids are little though 5 and 2. I will take them to the park, but I will not leave them there or leave them to their own devices.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:41 PM on May. 17, 2010

• My son is only 9 months old but I would participate in the day if he was old enough...but I would not leave. I would go "away" to some place nearby so that I could keep an eye on him. I don't care what the statistics are on crime ratings and kidnappings now...I could never forgive myself if something were to happen to him that could have been stopped or prevented if I was there.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:41 PM on May. 17, 2010

• no thanks
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 4:48 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Oh heck no! If I take my kids to the park I am right there to monitor the situation especially since they are only 2 and 3. I will not be leaving them to play alone for quite a few more years!!!
    proudmamafeb

Answer by proudmamafeb at 4:48 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Did anybody actually read this chicks article?? I think she has a point about the state of our children and she also clearly says kids older than 7.

It is a controversial idea folks, letting our kids play outside..........
    Anonymous

• no thx you go ahead let your kids get molested and kidnaped but I am not taking the chance with my kids! My oldest is 6 but even at 7 or 8 you never know!
    Anonymous

• Yes, kids need to have supervised excercise not to be left to their own devices.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:01 PM on May. 17, 2010