renting a house

can someone explain to me the reason why they have a wieght limit or say small dogs only when it doesnt make any difference what size the dog is they still make the same messes and a smaller dog barks alot more than a larger dog makes. just curious.

laura970

Asked by laura970 at 4:48 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Pets

• Well for us the bigger dogs HAVE caused more damage then the small ones and left much bigger messes to be cleaned up after the tenants left. We charge differently based on weight for that reason. I can see how smaller ones could possibly do more damage or at least the same amount, but that is not our experience so far and we have 17 units and have been doing this for 15 years.
    Anonymous

• I have always wondered this too! I think it has to do with the amount of space the place has though...you have to think if your moving into a small house or a small apartment how comfortable will a dog be in that place? A small dog is more compatible with an apartment or small house. Big dogs need room and a big yard.
    proudmamafeb

Answer by proudmamafeb at 4:50 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I dunno bigger dogs are usually better behaved because they have a larger brain and are a little smarter. I dont understand the reasoning. Our place didnt say anything to us about a weight limit. We have a boxer about 55 ilbs and its the same pet deposit for everyone.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:51 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I have no fricken idea..... Maybe they are worried that bigger dogs will be more aggressive and will attack or something like that.
    I dont get it.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 4:51 PM on May. 17, 2010

• A bigger dog can cause more damage to the home,is probably the thinking.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 4:53 PM on May. 17, 2010

• LOL! I too wondered this. They say small dog. What if your dog is overweight?? Mine is!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:55 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I think smaller dogs tend to damage more..oh I dunno we have no pets but I like BIG DOGS!
    Anonymous

• I'm a landlord or is it landlady? IDk anyway, I don't restrict them from havings pets. As long as they are clean people they will most likely clean up after their pets.
    Anonymous

• bigger dogs can be a bigger liuablity when they bite. seriously how big of a bite can a little dog versus a bigger dog do. who ever is the older of the property can be sued for dogs bitting people on their property. as for damage some big dogs do cause more then smaller dogs.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:17 PM on May. 17, 2010

• i think smaller dogs are more likely to bite myself but if it has to do with a breed restriction i can understand but its like i have a lab and a beagle and the lab rarely barks and has never been destructive or have bitten someone. all she does is lay around most the time. but my beagle is always barking at something and loves to chew anything plastic. neither dog am i worried about bitting but because my lab is over the 40 - 50 lb i was just curious and thought it was a bit strange. but i still truely belive a smaller dog like a yorkie, or chiuahah (sp) are more likely to bite and can do some pretty bad bites. not to metion the contstant yapping.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:36 AM on May. 18, 2010