How do you stop hitting?

My daughter is almost 13 months old. She is a bit of a hitter. My other 3 never really had this issue. What do you do to get a toddler that young to stop hitting?

SoniaL

Asked by SoniaL at 5:11 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 14 mos. old does it. I think it's a phase. I usually just grab her hands and say 'no, no!'. But she just laughs. She's kind of a little psychopath at this stage...
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:16 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Ugh, my 22 month old son is doing the same thing!! We try gently catching his hands and saying "nice" while making a patting or rubbing motion the first time, then the next time, tell him he's going to get a time out. If he does it again, he gets a time out. Generally, we don't get to the time out, he stops :)
    It's a tough age, especially your daughter, because she's trying to communicate but doesn't really have words yet. Good luck :)
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 5:25 PM on May. 17, 2010