any suggestions(besides"take his bottles") on helping a 1-yr old use a sippy?

He is 13 months old and I can see him trying to work out how to get the stuff out of the sippy but he gets frustrated. anyone tried something or did something that helped their child figure out how the sippy works lol?
what an odd question I think but still there it is, thanks moms. and bashers need not apply, you bore me(sigh) lol

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 5:17 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They have sippies that are similar to bottles. I've never had trouble with this. My kids take any kind of cup they can get their hands on. LOL.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:20 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Have you tried the silicone nipples? Trust me, the best option is to just take the bottle away. (I know you didn't want to hear it, but it really does help.)
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:19 PM on May. 17, 2010

• it just takes practice. just keep giving it to him. My youngest had real issues with not wanting a sippy so I gave her sports bottles and then after that she took a certain sippy we found and it took a few mos. With my older two we always took the bottle at 12mos but my son the oldest had it till 19mos at night. often sippy is best if introduced at 9-10mos because it really is just practice. Ypou can try different sippy cups because my youngest did not like any of them except the first years ones. Once she was use to them she used them all.
    Anonymous

• This may sound silly but my son could not for the life of him figure out how to get the drink out of the sippy. He would not put his head back and because he would always lay down when he was given a bottle he never learnt it at that age. lol There are sippy cups with straws, try that. It worked for my son it could possibly work for yours.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 5:23 PM on May. 17, 2010

• My son didn't "get it" either he did better at a normal cup, we kept trying and offering and then it was like one day he just got it,. he was around 15 months then
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:25 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Start with silicone nipple sippy cups. Make the sippy cup the only option at least a few times each day (we did this at meals at first). You can try switching what's in his cup; juice is not great for all the time, but if the tatse of something sweet encourages him to try harder then it is worth it. You can also try different cups. A straw cup works better for some. My oldest learned to suck on a straw when I allowed her to taste a milkshake - one little taste of that and she worked very hard to get it to work, and after that sippies were no problem at all.
    Anonymous

• http://nuby.com/en/natural-touch/cups-spouts/69009 try one of these sippys..maybe the hard tip one are too hard for her to sick out of yet...my dd could not drink out of a hard tip sippy cup at first, so we got soft tips and she had no problem with it
    Anonymous

• The nubbys, that is what we had to use my son never learned how to suck. So when it was time for sippy cups we had to go to the hubby's.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 5:27 PM on May. 17, 2010

• haha i meant nubby's not hubby's
    mrsbean08

• ty soooo much for all your honest kind and helpful answers! I got a ton of great ideas!off to walmart to buy about 5 diff kids of sippys, and cups. yanno a good freind said'hey maybe he is just gonna go straight to the cup" could be that or a water bottle.
    ty again so much!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:29 PM on May. 17, 2010