• In the Spotlight:

3 year old dog, too old to adopt?

Do you think a 3 year old is too old to adopt? Will a dog this old be able to see us as his family? Opinions, advice welcome. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Pets

• I don't believe there is an age that is too old to adopt an animal. Also, the older they are the more likely they will be put to sleep if they AREN'T adopted. You will be able to connect with him, it may take a little longer then a pup, but it's doable.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:25 PM on May. 17, 2010

• its never really too late with a dog. they adapt well to new environments. 3 is barely and adult in dog years. you get the perks of not having a puppy too. just make sure the dog is well taken care of and feels like they belong to you.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:27 PM on May. 17, 2010

• often times the older pets have less behavior problems and are more greatful to have a home. with the babies you have to house break them and teach them not to chew things, etc. and often times the older pets already know this stuff. i have adopted all of my cats as adults (my latest one is 8yo and i adopted him just last week!). they are very sweet and happy to have someone to love them
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:27 PM on May. 17, 2010

• 3 is okay. They over being a puppy by then too.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:27 PM on May. 17, 2010

• perfect age! good for you.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:29 PM on May. 17, 2010

• the oldest dog i have adopted was 8 and she was a wonderful dog.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 5:46 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Absolutely not! I adopted one of my dogs when she was 9 years old, she is just as much a part of the family as my dogs that I got as puppies. Age does not matter in the slightest.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 6:31 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Three is definantly not to old to adopt. I adopt dogs older (6 yrs and up) then that and they have no problems becoming apart of the family.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:31 PM on May. 17, 2010

• It is never too late to adopt! Adult dogs are great and many are already potty trained and at least know the basic commands (sit, stay, down)

Adult dogs are often overlooked but have just as much, if not more to offer! They are very great-full to find a family and make loyal companions.

Also, it's never too late to train a dog! Dogs of any age are capable of learning. In fact, training a dog through-out his life keeps him physically and mentally agile.

Another great reason to adopt an adult dog is you could saving his life! Puppies are easy to place but many adult dogs stay in shelters.
    r4str

Answer by r4str at 1:09 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Not at all. Our 16yo Lab came to us from an animal shelter when he was 6 and he has been the best dog ever from day 1! I wouldn't trade him for any other dog in the universe. He was, btw, 2 days from being put to sleep when we adopted him because no one wanted him due to his age.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 1:46 AM on May. 18, 2010