How to make a cat drink water

Sounds ridiculous right? I got this kitten when he was 4 weeks old, and bottle fed him watered down formula per the vet's office. They said once he got the hang of eating on his own to slowly add more and more water until he was no longer drinking the formula. Well, I did this, until I noticed my kitten was no longer drinking. If I add 1/2 a cup of water to 1 scoop of formula he will gulp the milk down however if I add 3/4 cup water to 1 scoop of formula he will not touch his water dish. I thought maybe this was just too watered down, so we tried straight water, he didn't drink for over 24 hours. I went back to 1 scoop formula 1/2 cup water and he gulped it down like it was going out of style. A few days later I again tried to get him off the formula and onto just water, and again he didn't drink anything for almost 2 days. He's now 8 weeks old and by all means should be drinking water, so any ideas?

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:44 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Pets

• I don't want him going days without liquids, however the thing is stubborn enough he will go without if its water in his dish. The vet had said by 8 weeks at the latest he should be drinking water, closer to 6 was more normal, so I'm at a loss
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:46 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Are you feeding him wet food by any chance? If so they get water from that so he may not be thirsty. If you arn't you might try mixing a small amount of wet food into the water to give it flavor.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:34 PM on May. 17, 2010

• This may sound silly, but I put my kittens front paws IN the water and kind of dipped their noses in it a little too. I had to do this a few times, but they started drinking it after a few times.

HTH
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 10:16 PM on May. 17, 2010

• no, i def put their paws in too! i have two i got as kitts and i did that :) mine liked to have their water move, i literally had ot buy a water fountain (eventually went with a cat water fountain.. the spoiled things...they are indeed) and they used to bat at it and took an interest and eventually drank it.
    IndieJones

Answer by IndieJones at 11:11 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Have you tried giving him canned food? Canned food has lots of water in it.
    r4str

Answer by r4str at 1:19 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Thanks ladies, we'll finish up the formula we have since its almost gone and I have no other use for it, and then we'll just stick with water and try dipping his paws... I think he might have been dropped a couple times before I got him, he's pretty cute but seems to be a rather dunce kitten... but we love him anyways :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:32 PM on May. 18, 2010

• At 8 weeks he does not need the KMR. I foster kittens and they typically are able to start on wet food at 5-6 weeks so by 8 weeks they should be able to eat regular food.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:51 PM on May. 18, 2010

• he's eating regular foods, he's just refusing to drink anything besides the formula... and he should be willing to drink water by now... i tried again today, i left at 7am with his water dish full of water and when i got home at 7:30pm it was completely full still and untouched... i waited till just a few minutes ago to see if he'd drink once i was home and he never did, so I gave him the formula and he gulped down the entire bowl... he's as stubborn as they come!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:04 PM on May. 19, 2010