Does anyone have a fairytale marriage or a friend who seems to? Is it real?

I believe even happy marriages have its problems and that its normal for couples to fight. However I recently met a woman who was talking behind my friend's back because she didn't believe my friend's marriage was as good as it seemed. My friend and her husband have been together since they were kids, I think the biggest fight they've ever had was about Irish whiskey versus Russian vodka (my friend is irish and her husband is russian) and I know they truly are happy and thought it was odd that someone who had only met them a couple times accused them of being fake and secretely miserable with each other because they get along so well and have had no serious issues in their relationship. I confronted her about talking behind my friend's back and she said it wasn't normal that they were so doting in front of people and probably fought and such when no one was around.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think everyone has issues and no one has a fairytale/perfect marriage.

Anonymous

• It depends. We are friends with a couple and they don't have a 'bad' relationship; but it's not the kiss ass suck face make you want to puke crap that they post on FB either. You know the people that gush for an entire paragraph because he remembered to turn on the coffee pot this morning? Yeah; that's trying just a little too hard.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I tend to think lots of people are different behind closed doors....just b/c shes your bf doesnt mean she tells you everything!
    Anonymous

• I have been told I have a fairytale marriage. We have problems just like everyone else. For the most part though we get along great and always have.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:28 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Fairytales are bs.... I don't think I even believe in marriage, it seems like none of them work out
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:32 PM on May. 17, 2010

• No one has a perfect marriage. If they tell you they do, they are LYING to you.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:46 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Yeah, I had a friend once and my SIL who both said that I had a "fairytale" relationship with my then fiance (now hubby). And that "boy was I in for a surprise when I got married". Turns out, after fighting and a looooooooooooooong convo with my SIL, they both were unhappy either in their relationship or had a fight with my bro or something and were jealous of the good relationship I have.

Do we have our disagreements and irks about each other? Of course. No marriage is perfect. We've been married over 7 yrs and have yet to have a fight. Marriage is no way perfect for anyone. It's a lot of communication, work, compromise and love. :)

For someone to judge someone they don't even know, is BS in itself.
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 6:46 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I don't think it is surprising. They knew each other for a LONG time before marriage and are apparently maturing "evenly" and are good at resolving conflict. Once dh and I fixed those issues (we spent 6 weeks together over a 15 month long distance courtship), I'm nearly four years older, and our parents fought a lot), fights became rare for us too.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 7:03 PM on May. 17, 2010

• My hubby and I have disagreements so rarely you could say we "never" fight. Does that mean we never disagree? Nope, we are both human and have our moment, but after (almost) 15 years of marriage and 17 years together, we know how to communicate with each other and get to the root of what's bothering us without fighting "dirty". Fairytales are just that - fairytales. Marriages are between two people and people are not perfect.

But I do agree that it's wrong for someone to call BS on a couple they barely know. Perhaps her comments are a reflection of how her marriage is and how jealous she is of theirs.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:11 PM on May. 17, 2010

• i have one and it's a total front. and no, my friends haven't the foggiest
    Anonymous