Pacemakers ...?

Does anyone here have an ICD or pacemaker fitted? Or do they know of a child who does?

We found out today that my daughter needs a pacemaker as her medication arent helping her, and I'm completley distraught and really don't know how to cope with it. Im sick with worry and guilt over it as she's so young and so happy.

If anyone has any personal/professional experience that would benefit us, we really would be very grateful. We've just been given masses of leaflets until we go back for another consultation :(

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 6:11 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Health

• My father had one...he done just fine with it... I know thats not much help but its all I got.
    TwistofCain

Answer by TwistofCain at 6:14 PM on May. 17, 2010

• A woman at my work's daughter just got one. I think she's about 12 years old, so that's quite different than your little one. She did fine with the surgery, fine with the device (so far), but she's rebelling because "she always wanted to do gymnastics and now she can't". Her mom said she never mentioned ever before! So, she's not sure if it's just the age, or if she's really upset not to be able to do gymnastics and I'M not sure that she can never participate, or just now, because it's quite recent, like in the past two months.
    I'm afraid that's all I know. Good luck and HUGS to you and your LO.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:32 PM on May. 17, 2010

• She is 5 in 3 months....she loves horseriding and gymnastics, we were told today that she probably wouldn't be able to continue either of those, and would be excused from P.E. in school. This makes me anxious as she's already the shyest (she has a twin)...bothered about what our future holds, and also...how she'll manage/cope. Been googling and it all seems positive so far so feeling better.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 6:36 PM on May. 17, 2010