Starting solids..rice cereal or fruit puree?

My 4 1/2 month old has been waking up frquently and doesn't seem as fullfilled with formula only. So I tried a little spoon of rice cereal mixed w formula. Well, so much for sleeping longer she woke up crying in discomfort and hasn't had a bowel movement yet today so I'm conserned she's constipated. Should I try organic bannana puree after a bottle? And if so how much should I give her

hillma

Asked by hillma at 6:13 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Food won't make a baby sleep longer. As you already found out it caused the opposite reaction. That's because the baby's digestive system is still immature and can not digest solids well. What you put in is going to come out undigested and can cause a lot of gas and constipation. It's a matter of biology. Babies wake up! They ALL do. If the baby seems unsatisfied with the formula it could be a growth spurt and so they need more formula until it is over, or the mix ratio isn't right (double check to be sure you are mixing it correctly if using a powder). When a baby is ready for solids they should be able to sit up unassisted, have lost the tongue thrust reflex (a reflex designed to push food out), and have the ability to deliberately reach for things and bring them to the mouth. These are all indicators that the gut is maturing and can handle a small amount of solids (teeth aren't needed)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:12 PM on May. 17, 2010

• If your goal is only to get her to sleep...neither. See, nothing you do will make her sleep...she has to grow into that and nothing you do can make the time pass any faster. Solids before bed have a habit of waking infants MORE.

If you're trying to introduce solids only..mashed banana. Good stuff. **grin** AFTER a bottle, though, never before or on its own.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:21 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I breastfeed my daughter, but when she was 6 months old I started with the solids. Her doctor suggested dark green vegetables first. Vegetables will not clogg up a baby's digestive tract and aren't that sweet, but more beneficial. It helps the baby get the nutruients she needs. If you start with the fruits, she may not take to the vegetables later, making a picky eater. The rice cereal do constipate. I tried oatmeal single grain and that has my daughter's bowels more regular than with the breastmilk alone. I hope this helps.
    janel09

Answer by janel09 at 6:23 PM on May. 17, 2010

• our first foods are veggies. i wait until they show that they want to eat, and have some teeth, and can sit up on their own. she might need more formula through the night due to a growth spurt.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:28 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Giving yoru baby solids so won't make them satisfied because they will still have a need for calories that they can not get even from digested banana. They will consume less calories not more. Remember that food before 1 is always for fun, not nutrition.

It isn't true that babies who take fruits first won't take veggies. Formula has quite a lot of sugar in it. It is already sweet. What matters is waiting until a baby can participate in the eating process and give them a variety of foods to try. Things that taste good and aren't pureed into a thin mush. What kind of fun is that? :) Jarred baby food and rice cereal taste horrible. Real fruits and veggies are tastey and have different interesting fun textures.

If the baby is waking watch for teething, or just needing to be comforted and held (at that age, being held is as essential as liquid food), and babies do need to eat at night. their stomachs are small
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:17 PM on May. 17, 2010

• As an example of readiness: I breastfeed my baby, but at six months I let her suck the juices from an apple -- her first taste of food. She was interested, but,wasn't ready to eat because she hadn't lost the tongue thrust reflex and was stick tryng to suckle the food. Of course, what little went in came out the other end identifiable. So I stopped. Though let her have tastes now and then. Four weeks later, she started begging and mimicking chewing but was still sucking. Two weeks later she learned how to move food with her tongue and wasn't tongue thrusting anymore and really became insistent with sharing food. She'll now chew soft chunks of food (no teeth). I give her anything healthy I'm eating except if its citrus or nuts or has too much salt/sugar etc. It doesn't make her sleep longer despite the fact that the digestion process has improved.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:25 PM on May. 17, 2010

• they say not to start solids in babies until later in life now. it used to be ok to start around this time but research has found it's not really benefical. try googling when should i start solids. i did this and got lots of info after the dr told me not to start solids until 9+ months and wondered later why.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:25 PM on May. 17, 2010