Do teachers in The United States follow a dress code?

Like the students. Parents complain about students looking like "sluts". Do parents complain about teacher's clothes too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm a teacher, and while I set high standards for my appearance, and wear long skirts, nylons, and jackets/coordinating sweaters/tops, many teachers in my school do not. Often times their clothes do not fit properly too small or too baggy--cheap looking, they look like they just rolled out of bed. Even on "Pajama Day" I think I looked better than most of the other teachers--maybe because I went shopping for new PJ's and slippers! LOL

Other than that, Friday's are "dress down" (fundraiser) days, and we can wear jeans, sandals, capris, and even sleeveless tops--though SOME teachers take "dress down" days a little too far! Sorry, but if I can see all of your otherwise hidden tattoos on dress down days, perhaps one should find alternative clothing. What kind of message does it send? I think it alters the authoritative element that so many teachers are lacking and the students no longer "fear."
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:15 AM on May. 18, 2010

• It probably depends on the school district. I'm assuming all of them have one but it would vary from district to district. I know in our district teachers cannot wear jeans to work. Most companies have dress codes for their employees, schools would be similar.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:34 PM on May. 17, 2010

• teachers cannot wear jeans to work

Why?
    Anonymous

• My sister is a second grade teacher and she follows a very strict dress code. No jeans, skirts/dresses must be to the knee, no cleavage/tank tops/strapless shirts, no capris/shorts.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 7:38 PM on May. 17, 2010

• OH yes they do. What would make you think they didn't??
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:42 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I have never seen a teacher dress like a slut or even a slob. I guess it depends on where you are. Teachers in our area can wear jeans on Fridays but thats it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:52 PM on May. 17, 2010

• They should have a dress code. My daughters first grade teacher used to wear short skirts and then sit on a stool in front of the class and the kids had a full view of her crotch. The grandparents also got the show on grandparent day. The kids would talk about what color panties she was wearing. But the school didn't care when it was brought to their attention.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:16 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Teachers do have to follow a dress code. There is a little more of an issue with adults than students. It depends on the state and district just how strict the policy may be. We can't wear jeans (unless it is something special), the shirt sleeves have to be wider then 3 fingers, skirts longer than the fingers, and shorts must come to the knees. Otherwise, it is to our good sense to pick clothing that falls withing these perameters. You must remember though, what is appropriate for an adult woman to wear isn't appropriate for a student to wear. And, what looks ok on a teenager doesn't look appropriate for a grown woman. I don't want to be treated like a child and told "if the kids can't wear that, why can you"? Well, because I'm an adult with a job and not a child who is required by law to attend school. We are in different roles.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:37 PM on May. 17, 2010

• It's based on the district and not a 'nationwide' code.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:52 PM on May. 17, 2010

• At the schools my kids go to yeah they dont wear stuff that show, they can wear jeans or capris some wear nice sweats especially with the younger ones. One sixth grade teacher who is a runner wears shorts or sweats most of the time. Some wear dresses knees and below. Never saw a teacher dress like a slob or slut.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:42 AM on May. 18, 2010