Is a toddler's snoring an indicator of ENT problems?

My DD is 16 months old. I was going to get her ear tubes since she's had chronic ear infections for the past year, but we're moving, so I put that on hold. But when I saw the ENT he said snoring could indicate she has more problems than just chronic ear infections. Well, of course tonight over the monitor I can hear her snoring! Do you know if this is a common thing?

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 7:59 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sometimes snoring in a young child can indicate a problem with the tonsils/adenoids. That could go along with frequent ear infections....it is possible, but no one here is going to be able to tell you for sure if your child has more than ear infections. If you haven't moved yet, why don't you call your pedi? Then you might have an answer....even if you can't do anything about it right away....it's not an emergency, but at least you can plan what you'll need to do.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:16 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I never thought about this but now it has me thinking. My daughter is 3 and has been having trouble hearing but doesn't have signs of infection. We thought maybe she had ear wax build up in her ears. But after reading this it has me thinking if ther eis a link. She is SUCH a snorer! hmmmmm
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:53 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Get her into an e.n.t doc asap and get her tonsils and adnoids out and also have her nose checked to see if she can breathe properly through her nose. My oldest is 14 now,but when he was little he couldnt breathe through his nose and he would stop breathing in the middle of the night for a few seconds then start back up snoring again,I wasnt gonna take a chance in losing my son to something I knew could be helped. Sad thing is I have the same problem and thier are mornings when I wake up feeling so sleepy,and thats hard when you have a job to do and a family to take care of. Dont let this go too much longer without caring for your sweet baby.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 9:08 PM on May. 17, 2010

• My DD snored, and had sleep apnea, due to her tonsils & adenoids being too big when healthy. We had them taken out and she's been fine since.
    Anonymous