is it safe for a 6 month old

to get chicken poxs. i heard the younger the better. so i looked online and i can't find any for her age but i did see they have a vaccine for it. although it says it won't prevent it. so i wonder what the point then. anyway would it be safe or should i sheild her? i know someone who has it.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 8:25 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not vaccinate but I don't think that I would intentionally expose my child to it either. I was intentionally exposed and have a few scars from all the scratching I did. My sis was less than a year old and had it at the same time and doesn't have any to speak of.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:42 PM on May. 17, 2010

• keep her away from that person.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:26 PM on May. 17, 2010

• it's dangerous in adulthood. 6 months is a very good time to get it if she does get it
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 8:27 PM on May. 17, 2010

• The vaccine may or may not prevent it. If they have the vaccine and get it, the outbreak will be less severe. I would never intentionally give any child a disease. Chicken pox is miserable to deal with at any age.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:30 PM on May. 17, 2010

• IT IS DANGEROUS TO INFANTS!!!!
    Anonymous

• All of my kids were vaccinated for it, 2 of the 3 actually got it anyway. The outbreak was far less severe than if they hadn't had the vaccine. One of DH's coworkers brought her 6 month old baby over when my youngest had it. She wanted the baby to get it done and over with. Didn't work.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:46 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I never had it. My son was vaccinated and hasn't had it. My mom and several of her siblings never had it. Your child may never get it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:25 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Never expose your child on purpose! There are rare cases of chickenpox being deadly. I know of someone who intentionally exposed her kid and the child had to be hospitalized because she got the pox internally.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 9:50 PM on May. 17, 2010