Is there a difference medically between a D&C and an abortion?

This is not a debate on abortion. I just want to know if its the same procedure with the same risks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• OK, from a site about California Abortion Clinics.

"A D&C (Dilation and Curettage) is the surgical procedure to terminate pregnancy. A D&C can be performed up to 13 weeks gestation. The non-surgical procedure is accomplished with medication and offered up to 9 weeks of gestation."

http://www.fpamg.net/faq.html#7

It is also done after a fetus is confirmed dead, as during a miscarriage, if the fetal tissue isn't passed naturally.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 8:43 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I had a D&C, not because I had a abortion or a miscarriage but because my doctors left part of my placenta in after birth.
    Anonymous

• I'm not an expert, but I believe that medically they are the same procedure. The cervix is dilated (D) and the endometrial lining is scraped with a curette (C). I had one after a miscarriage during which they couldn't stop me from hemmorhaging. Of course that is only if that is the method of abortion used - as opposed to using medication But for what most people think of when they think about abortion, it's the same procedure.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:04 PM on May. 17, 2010

• OP here: Thank you for your answers. My friend has a D&C scheduled and I just wanted to understand the risks involved.
    Anonymous