How to increase breastmilk supply??

My daughter is 1 month old and ever since she was born we have been doing both breast feeding and formula. She was almost 3 weeks weeks early so weight was an issue. most not all breastfeedings she is still hungry or an hour later hungry. How can I increase mhy supply that will satisfy her???? How often should I pump if need be??? 1st time mom here!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if your going to breast feed or plan on brest feeding for a while try to cut back on formula, using it will only make you dry because around 1-2mos she will increase milk intake, again 1.5months later, and so on. so baby will nurse more to keep your supply going and increase it so switching back and forth will only slow milk production. KWIM? only use it if you NEED to, like I worked and pumped so I could keep my supply.

anyway
    FENUGREEK is an herbal supplement that is completly safe and natural and will help you. take 3pills 3xs a day
    also
    drinking as much water as recommended during pregnancy...min. 64 oz
    eating protein, like chicken
    and nursing everytime she is hungry will help as well, switching back and forth won't help increase anything except the amount of formula you use.

good luck
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:08 PM on May. 17, 2010

• theres a mexican hot drink that comes in strawberry, vanilla, or chocolate, its called Maizena, that with my prenatals..I produced enough to breastfeed until my baby was 12 months
    Anonymous

• pump and nurse alot!!! i would stop giving formula and nurse on demand as much as possible and when you are not nursing then pump. eventually you will build up a suply. but for right now since you are supp. with formula your body is only making a little bit.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 9:15 PM on May. 17, 2010

• The only way to know if a breastfed baby is getting enough milk is diaper count; if she's wetting/dirtying at least 6-8 diapers a day, then she's getting enough. Most newborns go through a phase of "cluster nursing" where it feels like they're attached 24/7. It's normal, and it doesn't last forever. Giving formula is the worst thing you can do for your supply because the more formula baby gets, the less she's going to demand from the breast, and since it works by supply and demand... The best thing you can do for your supply is let her nurse whenever she wants, for however long she wants. That might seem like all the time right now, but it does get better, it probably won't last much longer. In the long run, speaking from experience, breastfeeding really is a lot easier than formula-feeding, you just have to work through the rough patches. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:17 PM on May. 17, 2010

• EVERY SINGLE TIME she is hungry, nurse her. Yes, even if she nursed an hour ago. Even if she nursed 10 mins ago. At 1 month of age, you should be able to get to EBF pretty quickly, if you nurse on demand, and count diapers. You want to change 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, and if you are, your supply is perfect. I don't know what kind of weight issues you've had in the past, but if, after a week or two of EBFing, you notice the same thing, or anything that concerns you really, speak to an IBCLC, or a LLL leader. Even without any problems, I highly recommend attending LLL meetings, that way you already have a support system in place should you need it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:18 PM on May. 17, 2010

• DItto FENUGREEK...also...one of the keys to increased supply is to keep nursing!
    There is a tea marketed called "Mother's Milk" or Mommy milk tea...both Yogi and Traditional Medicinals makes it. That may help too. It's as the above poster said, when you stop nursing, your supply says "oh...I guess I'm not needed". Your baby is still really new, she may just want to nurse often!
    My son wanted to nurse every 20 minutes...which was not what I was told to "do" (nurse every 2-3 hours) yeah...right! He wanted more...so once I gave him what he wanted, he was fine!
    Just nurse on demand if you want to have successful breastfeeding. Ignore the insane "schedules' that people try to push on you. You know if your child is okay...just trust yourself!

Also, TALK to someone! Find your local La Leche League...they will help you...and if you don't like their personality, find another one!
    :) You can do it!

boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 9:19 PM on May. 17, 2010

• just keep breast feeding every time she asks for it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:22 PM on May. 17, 2010

• PUMP!! as much as you can and it will increase your supply.
    Casarah13

Answer by Casarah13 at 11:36 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Pump every two hours, take fenugreek pills and drink tons of milk and water. (the milk is to keep your bones strong as bf seems to make them weaker and the water is to keep you hydrated)
    Ronique1989

Answer by Ronique1989 at 11:52 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Supplementing with formula will only decrease your supply. Eliminate it all together and nurse on demand. Make sure uyou eat well and drink plenty of water.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:20 AM on May. 18, 2010