so im trying to get my 2 year old to brush his teeth and i have tried everything. HELP!!!!!!!!!

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 9:04 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I have to do something with my child and she doesn't want to, I usually pin her to the floor and do what I need to and then I let her get up and give lots of hugs and kisses. The next time around she usually cooperates. I know it may sound tough or harsh but I am in control in my house and she has to learn that what mommy says goes.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:06 PM on May. 17, 2010

• have you tried the spinning toothbrushes? have you tried the toothbrushes that play music?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:10 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Try the spin brushes (my daughter wont put hers down). You can try giving him a brush and letting him watch you brush and then (while he still has "his" brush) brush his teeth and reward him for letting you. It gives him a sense of control and you know his teeth are brushed :)
    mark.girl84

Answer by mark.girl84 at 9:52 PM on May. 17, 2010

• oh mine did this exact same thing and all he wanted to do was suck the toothpaste off the toothbrush. heres what i did and its been working ever since: put a stool in front of the bathroom sink/mirror and show him what silly face he needs to make to show you his teeth. then make a silly toothbrush noise while you're brushing. and when you have to get to the back teeth show him how to open wide and make the ahhhhh sound. the best part is the end brush his tounge and spit. my 2 year old hasnt resisted since we started this routine.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 10:46 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Two is much too young for a child to brush her/his teeth independently.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:37 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I have 2 tooth brushes for my son. I give him one first and let him "brush" his teeth while I brush mine with my own brush. The i grab his other brush and we play a game where he gets to use the first tooth brush to brush my teeth and i brush his with the second. You might also try a different toothpaste, my son hates the strawberry banana one but he likes the berry one (its orajel toothpaste). He used to hate getting his teeth brushed until i started letting him brush mine...good luck :)
    Anonymous

• thanks to everyone. that advice is good. i will let you know how it goes
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 3:03 PM on May. 19, 2010