is there any way you can find out, while your pregnant if you will be able to breastfeed. I have 5 weeks 2 go and I have been buying stuff for Brest feeding. and i don't no if i will be bale to Brest feed. i haven't opened anything in case i have to take back stuff. .

tommygirl_jmg

Asked by tommygirl_jmg at 9:27 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Every woman is able to breastfeed unless there is a medical reason to make them unable to do so.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:29 PM on May. 17, 2010

• a VERY small percentage of women are unable to breastfeed. and buy that i mean Physically do not produce milk. if you are determined to breastfeed, you will be able to. there are different challenges for everyon, and it really depends on hoe committed you are to doing it. now, not everyone produces TONS of milk, but in most cases your body will produce what your baby needs. and pumping is not a good indicator of how much milk you are producing. some women breastfeed just fine but can only ever pump an ounce at a time. good luck and congrats!
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 9:31 PM on May. 17, 2010

• SaraP, not every baby can nurse. My daughter was physically unable to nurse.

OP, most likely, if you are willing to try and put up with some inconvenience for a week or two, then you will be able to. There aren't that many who are unable, but if you are persistant, it is likely you will succeed. You just have to keep at it.
    Anonymous

• SaraP1989 is correct
    less than 3% of women around the world are unable to produce enough milk, let alone not breastfeed. Which is very low if you consider that in some parts of the world women don't even have total access to water to stay hydrated.

So the chances, living even semi healthy are totally in your favor for breast feeding. Go ahead get excited and get what ever you need...and just some advice from a 1st time mommy herself, when your milk fully comes in after the colostrum, pump as much as you can. Get a supply, it will come in handy later on if you want a break and don't want to use formula. Believe me on this! ;)

DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:32 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Almost everyone is perfectly capable of nursing a baby. Unless you have had surgery on your breasts or have malformed breasts you should be fine. It's scary and new but you will be ok. Does your hospital have a lactation consultant? You really should get in touch with one. They are amazingly helpful to new mothers. There are many books about nursing you could read and some hospitals even have a class to prepare you. I would also go to a La Leche League meeting. You can look up one in your area on line. Good luck Mama!

Anonymous

• Generally speaking you would more than likely know by now if you could not breast feed...A lot of women say they cant but really it is more or less their lack of patience. Some mothers are medically unable to nurse though and if you give birth to a preemie then you more than likely couldnt but since you have 5 weeks to go chances are you will be fine! Dont give up and remember it gets stressful but it is all worth it in the end!
    proudmamafeb

Answer by proudmamafeb at 9:36 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I guess I was one of those 3% as well as my mother....she wasn't able to breast feed my brother or I. My second son I got to month 4 before totally drying up. My first son was month 2. But anyways....I rented a breast pump from the hospital the second baby. My first baby, the stupid pump broke. Anyways, if you are talking storage bags and things along those lines, if they are unopened and you have a receipt you should be able to return them. But a breast pump, I don't think you can return those. And I would say to rent one and make sure you can and the baby can nurse. Don't get too hard on yourself if you can't handle all the stress it entails. A healthier you makes a more mentally healthy mommy, which a baby needs!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:48 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I had a preemie and I was able to nurse...although I had to pump for the first 4 months of his life. It was very worth it! I miss the bonding experience even though I did it for 13 months!
    TBSNBubblegum

Answer by TBSNBubblegum at 9:50 PM on May. 17, 2010

• The best way to get yourself ready for breastfeeding is to tell yourself that you can do it. Yes, there are people who really can't, but if you are determined to do it, it's very possible for almost everybody. Positive thinking or a very strong determination will help you push past some of the tougher times.
    But there's no test that can tell you if you're going to have a good milk supply. the only way to do that is just start breastfeeding and keep at it. That will continue to build your supply up after your baby is born.
    Anonymous

• There really isn't anything you can do now to physically prepare yourself, but mentally preparing yourself will go a long way in helping you succeed. I am currently nursing my 4 month old exclusively. There have been a few times that I really just wanted to give up, it's rough sometimes. But I have no support or help right now because my hubby isn't here. You SO can help you a lot by just being supportive and being an extra set of hands when you are nursing. The only absolutely necessary items are nursing pads, lanolin, and nursing bras. Everything else is optional and all other preparation is mental and emotional. I would also recommend reading up on holds and techniques to relieve engorgement and nipple soreness. And do not feel bad if you can't nurse for as long as you initially plan, my best friend went through that not too long ago, her body just didn't make enough to keep her DD satisfied.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:31 PM on May. 17, 2010