If I'm bf but would like to have a few drinks how do i make sure it doesn't get to my baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could pump and dump or you could have just a drink or two AFTER nursing and wait until you are sober to nurse again.
    Anonymous

• nurse right before you are going to be drinking. then pump the milk a little while later and dump it out.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:31 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I did this and you are supposed to wait I think it is 2 hours for every drink you have you DO NOT have to dump your breast milk....but honestly girl when you drink it produces more milk so dont be surprised at how painful it is. LOL
    proudmamafeb

Answer by proudmamafeb at 9:31 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Pump enough milk before hand and have whoever is watching her giver her bottles. If you are just going to have one drink you can feed her and have a drink right then or soon after. Then don't feed her for two hours after. If you want more drinks, then just make sure you allow enough time for the alcoholic to leave your system. I think it is two hours for each drink. So three drinks equals 6 hours.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:31 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Pump and dump, ect. In addition to the comments above, there is a breast milk alcohol tester. I got one from walgreens once and I am sure other places carry it. It came in a 3 pack and wasnt too pricey.
    It is a stick like a pregnancy test almost. And it tells you when your milk is safe to feed to the baby.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 10:11 PM on May. 17, 2010

• read up on the leche league website. they have found that alcohol leaves your breastmilk the same way/time it leaves your bloodstream. you dont have to pump and dump! and if youre still nervous they sell these strips that you can put in your breast milk to see if theres any alcohol presant.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 10:52 PM on May. 17, 2010

• You don't have to pump and dump. If you are fine to drive you are fine to nurse. You can also nurse just before having that drink and have a drink with a meal and drink it moderately. It will be a-ok.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:11 AM on May. 18, 2010

• You DO NOT have to pump & dump. I usually have a couple of glasses of wine on the weekend after my daughter goes to sleep, so I have about 4 hours before she wakes up again. You'll be fine as long as your not slamming tequila shots & getting wasted.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:21 AM on May. 18, 2010

• NO PUMP AND DUMP.

It does NOTHING.

You can have A drink. You can have TWO drinks. No getting blotto.

Safe to drive, safe to nurse...generations of Italian moms will tell you that.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:23 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Pump and dump is a waste of time, energy and milk. ONLY pump if you're going to miss a feeding and it will screw with your supply, or cause you discomfort. This is the rule that I follow: 1-2 drinks, safe to nurse. Any more then that, wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again. Basically, if you are feeling sober, you are most likely fine to nurse. You should not nurse if you are drunk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:07 AM on May. 18, 2010