Techno Teens

DO you allow your teen daughter to date? Cell phone? TV in room? FaceBook? MySpce? and how do you monitor and/or reward? I personally found the facebook/myspace to be a tool for gossip. (I also work in the discipline office at a high school and have seen first hand how wonderful some of these internet social sites are "helping" our teen culture. I would love some feedback/thoughts on what other parents are thinking about all of our wonderful techno teen stuff

RedHedMom39

Asked by RedHedMom39 at 9:47 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i think that you cant punish all teens from technology like facebook & myspace because some teens abuse it. teens are going to gossip wether they have internet sites or not. if they didnt have facebook, they would gossip at school, through notes, etc. - i think that cell phones are necessary for saftey reasons and for enjoyment reasons. i dont have a teenage daughter yet, but of course i plan on letting her date when i do. im not gonna keep my kids locked in a cage. dateing is normal healthy and fun. you just have to know where theyre going, and when they plan on being home - and them having a cell phone is good, because then they or you can call & check in. i had my first boyfriend when i was 12, it was very innocent - my mom would drop us off with friends at the mall and we would go to the movies & ice skating, some of the best times of my life. teens want to enjoy there lives too.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:56 PM on May. 17, 2010

• theres positives and negatives to everything in life, not just technology. technology has helped alot too.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:57 PM on May. 17, 2010

• my teen is 15... I dont reward period... never have.

I dont allow dating, but if she wants to call someone her boyfriend that is fine... she only sees him at school any way.

I do allow cell phone, she is very active with sports and I have 3 kids total... so it is much more for me than for her... though she probably sees it as all for her.

TV in bedrooms we dont allow... she offered once to purchase it herself with saved money... but we simply told her no.

Facebook... yes, with hesitation, but I monitor it daily while she is at school, and all adult relatives (granny and aunts) that request she MUST accept.  I have pass words and will often check her settings.

Ipod....... HELL YAH.... we are all about the music.

Anonymous

• I have a 15 yr old daughter. She'll be allowed to date, but with an older brother in law enforcement......I'm more worried about the guy she dates than her dating (she'll also be taking a self defense course this summer).

She does have a Facebook, but no Myspace. I monitor her Facebook once a week, but her friends are gossips and the posts and messages on it are innocent.
    She has a cell phone, but didn't get it until she was in HS and riding in vehicles driven by her classmates (band functions) and not just parents. She isn't very techo so we don't have issues with her using her phone when she isn't supposed to.
    We have no TVs in the bedroom. NO computers in the bedrooms. Definitely to iPods and Radios. We LOVE our music.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:02 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I have a 17 yo dd and techo teen is the best title for her!!! She has been on the computer since she was 3 and your cell phone is a part of her hand!! I is the way of the world for them, they are connected to their friends a day. It is also kinda nice to know that I can get in touch with her anytime. She has all those websites. Facebook, flickr, ect. I also find them helpful in getting to know what is going on with the people in her world. It is important to trust them with all that they have and do. She has dated a couple of boys and having a phone is an asset when she is out.
    There are limits to how long she can be on the computer and how late to be texting.
    No t.v or computers in their bedrooms.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 2:07 PM on May. 18, 2010