Urine and stool samples

Has anyone else had to collect a urine and stool sample from their toddler?

Our doctor said to wrap my daughters diaper in plastic wrap, so I can collect a stool sample, without getting it contaminated by "diaper fibers". It sounds very messy though! Does anyone have a different way of doing it? She's not potty trained yet, but I've thought of trying to get her to poop on the potty.

And the urine sample seems even harder. they gave me a bag to stick to her private parts, to catch the urine...... it seems very uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've never had to do it. But getting a toddler to go poop in the potty is a hard thing to do. Most kids when they first start potty training will hold on to it. They have a hard time letting it out. I don't knonw why. But your right it does sound uncomfortable to have plastic in the diaper.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:17 PM on May. 17, 2010

• We've had to get several for my son. The urine collecting isn't as bad as the stool sample. The bag it sounds like they gave you is just one you stick to their bottom and wait. Then remove it when they have gone. As for stool samples, I've never been told to use plastic to catch it. We just scrape it out of the diaper. But we have been told to use plastic if it is easier but I personally think it would be messier especially considering the stool we were trying to get was wicked runny diarrhea. Yeah, if there was plastic..................we would have a HUGE mess.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 2:05 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Thanks Chelleybeans. Although, I envy you for having a son.... the urine collection seems a lot easier with boys. My daughter has the bag that we have to stick to her bottom, but this morning I checked it and most of the urine hadn't made it into the bag, I guess I didn't position it quite right
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 8:26 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I've done both with my daughter. For us what works best with the urine is I put it on her and then had her sit on her potty with several books until she goes. With the BM, like Chelleybeans, we were never told we had to use plastic, just that we can use it if we want too, but like Chelleybeans, it was super runny diarrhea
    Xandriasmommy

Answer by Xandriasmommy at 9:49 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Yeah, having the boy does make it easier. They just seal it around his package area and we're good. I couldn't imagine having a girl and doing it. :( GL though!! I hope your LO is ok!
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 11:46 PM on May. 18, 2010