How long does it take to house train a puppy?

Just curious so I know what to expect. Any suggestions of things that have worked for you?

KendraR

Asked by KendraR at 9:50 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Pets

• It seems to take FOREVER. When we took her out, and she did her thing, we gave her a treat right then, and told her she was a good girl. Treats seem to help. Watch her inside, tether her/him to you if you have to. Give her plenty of opportunities to go out. I know someone who used a doggy diaper. Crate him/her when you arent at home. Our dog eventually decided it wasnt cool to pee/poop in her crate. Be patient and consistant, it may seem like forever, but if you are consistant it will eventually click.
    RedHedMom39

Answer by RedHedMom39 at 9:56 PM on May. 17, 2010

• If you are VERY consistent and watchful (meaning you have to pretty much catch them in the act anytime they try to go inside) it can be done in about a month. Otherwise expect several months before you stop having accidents sometimes.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 12:17 AM on May. 18, 2010

• It depends on the dog, it's size, breed, sex, personality, previous living situation, etc. My mutt a German Shepherd/whippit/? mix took 5 days, he was 6 weeks old when I got him. My Beagle/Basset female that I got at 8 weeks took like 3 months! And my Doberman (male) that I got at 15 weeks only ever had 2 accidents in the house. Every dog is different but gernerally males are a little faster, larger breeds are easier, toy breeds can be nearly impossible, hounds are a little difficult. Dogs that come from poor living conditions (puppy mill, pet store, animal horder, or just kept in a dirty area and not cleaned up after) as puppies are also hard.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:50 AM on May. 18, 2010

• It can depend on the dog but my puppy only took 3 weeks. What I did was crate train, took him out 10-15 after he ate,drank or played but I also took him out every hour (in the beginning). He was never left unattended, if I could not watch him he went in the crate for a bit. I also gave him treats and tons of praise when he went outside.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:33 AM on May. 18, 2010

• My doggie was potty trained fully by 3 months. Tht was with going in and out all the time, catching her in the act...It's alot of work so be prepared!! They sure do love treats so be ready to give all kinds. carrots work good too...I kennel trained and not 1 time did she P' or Poo in the crate nor did she chew on my shoes ect... I so recomend crate training also...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:41 AM on May. 18, 2010

• My Shelties (4yrs and 2yrs) each took about 2 months before they were completely accident-free. My Belgian Malinois (14.5wks) took about 3-4wks. They were all crate trained and I did almost exactly what KyliesMom did (minus treats). I would also suggest that you feed on a schedule so you will have a better idea of when the puppy will need to go out.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:46 PM on May. 18, 2010

• How long does it take to potty train a child? It all depends on the child. It's the same way with dogs.

I had a lab that would hurl herself at the door when she needed to go. Didn't have to train her at all.
    I have a wire haired terrier that I got at 8 months old. She was crate trained, but not house broken. Took about 2 months for us to get on the same page.

I have 6 1/2 week old jack russell terrier. She goes potty every time I take her out. She sleeps with me & wakes me up when she needs to go out.

My 14 yr old yorkie, I had paper trained in the bathroom as a pup. He has now regressed to peeing in the bathroom without attempting to let me know he needs to go out.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:20 AM on May. 20, 2010