did I fail?

i'm potty training my son. today was day three. The past two days he went pee in the potty twice. We we were overjoyed! but today, nothing. No success. Is this common? Will there be days of no making it to the potty? I try to take him to he bathroom morning, after meals/drinks, nap and before bedtime, i try not to constantly ask him, but tell him. He does seem ready...but because he didnt do anything but accidents today should i give up? I'm such a newbie at all this.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:12 PM on May. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Don't give up, because then you will have failed. Keep at it. It's very common for children to regress while they're in the process of potty training. Even some children regress after they seemed to have conquered the training. Keep at it. He'll get the hang of it and start learning the signs that he has to go. Hopefully it'll be an easy road for you!!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:51 PM on May. 17, 2010

• dont give up, its gonna take alot of patience i no i am trying to potty train my dd, there will be days she just dont want to go to the potty and there are days that she comes and lets me no thats she has to potty,. Have lots of patience and keep up the good work mommy
    Anonymous

• Noo, don't give up! It takes longer than 3 days. Once he catches on, it will still take weeks to get his technique right. Wiping his bottom will take a little longer. It's a process. That 3 day stuff is just hooey.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:17 PM on May. 17, 2010

• thank you :) I need the encouragement!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:18 PM on May. 17, 2010

• It's common. I tried with my son a month or so ago. My husband is in military, but when my son saw my dad pee he copied. I tried and it stopped happening, like you. But then my hubby came home a couple weeks ago for a visit and low and behold, he is peeing. It was all at once and the last 3 days he has gotten the hang of it. Just keep taking him in there every half hour. If he is frustrated take a break. I think it just clicks quickly with some kids. Plus remember, he has to take time to learn what the feeling is that his body has to pee. That takes time!!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:18 PM on May. 17, 2010

• thanks Pnukey! I'm not doing the 3 day method. I'm in no rush at all. I'm going by my sons pace.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:19 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Totally normal! Don't give up. After two days of trying to train my son with no constant successes I was ready to give up. My husband patiently guided him to the potty and had him go. After that, it was so much easier for some reason. We had days with accidents and days with no accidents at all. It takes time but believe me, he will get the hang of it.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:20 PM on May. 17, 2010

• When we were training Kiwi, we didn't ask if she had to go, or tell her to. We just asked her to try for us. It worked well, she felt in more control of it. Don't give up, it will take some time. Make sure to make a huge deal out of being so proud of him and how he's such a big boy when he does.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:35 PM on May. 17, 2010

• For me and my son there have been LOTS of days that are setbacks and I think "is he EVER gonna get this??". Just keep being consistent with your schedule for him and he'll do it. If he fights it or argues too much, maybe back off for a few days or so... it's been a long tough road for me, but now i'm seeing that he's really getting it and starting to go on his own and i feel like we're really getting there.
    Anonymous

• Fail? No! Ever hear, "You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink". Not to compare your son to a horse (sorry)... but the point I am tryin to make is we can try and try and try and try but they wont get it until THEY ARE READY!. All you can do mom is keep encouraging him to go potty. Dont worry he'll get it. Just hang in there mom, your doing great!
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 3:45 AM on May. 18, 2010