Instead of Debating Food Bans; Shouldn't We Find Out Why Allergies in Children Are On the Rise?

Perhaps I'm being a tad extreme but doesn't it seem to feel like childhood allergies are reaching epidemic proportions?

Think back 10; 20; 60 years ago had you heard of even 1/4 of the allergies that children today suffer from in alarming numbers?

I believe if there were any other "disease" striking down this many children each year; people would be storming the CDC's gates; demanding answers from someone. But I think a lot of people hear 'allergies' and things like Hayfever spring to mind...that's not what we're talking about anymore.

I have some facts (I'll probably need addt'l room):

~ see below ~

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 10:28 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://bit.ly/bZqLdk
    • A 2000 review of asthma trends worldwide concluded that asthma is more common in Western countries and that asthma prevalence increases in countries as they become more urban and westernized.
    • Asthma prevalence among children in the United States rose from 3.6 percent in 1980 to 6.2 percent in 1996.8
    • A 2003 national telephone survey suggests the prevalence of children's peanut allergies doubled between 1997 and 2002.

http://bit.ly/aObIPS
    children
    13. May 2010 02:50

Results of a nationwide telephone survey have shown that the rate of peanut allergies in children more than tripled from 1997 to 2008. The data are reported in the May 12 issue of the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.
    "These results show that there is an alarming increase in peanut allergies, consistent with a general, although less dramatic, rise in food allergies among children in studies reported by the CDC
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:31 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Shouldn't we be pushing for more studies; more research to find out why these things are increasingly affecting our children?
    beachmamaof2

• Allergies are misdiagnosed an awful lot. I just read an article the other day, I'll try to find the link.

Personally, i believe that it has to do with the amount of chemicals we ingest and use to produce food.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:38 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Chemicals/Pollution would be a good place to start for the increases in asthma one would think.

I only did a quick search so I didn't get stats on gluten/dairy/wheat/eggs/etc but these are all things that have increased in recent years.

I mean how many babies have some sort of IBS type syndrome? The amount of 'new' allergies and / or massive increase in those diagnosed seems abnormally high to me from a layperson's standpoint. Knock on wood as of now neither of my girls show any signs of food allergies but we have several friends who do. I never had friends as a child with food allergies...etc
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:44 PM on May. 17, 2010

• There is tons of research being done on all types of allergies-from food to medicines to environmental elements. BUT just because research is notoriously slow, doesn't mean that we can ignore what we do know. If a child has peanut allergy, the "why" doesn't really matter in terms of day to day management

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:07 AM on May. 18, 2010

• One food allergy that is often misdiagnosed is an allergy to artificial colors and flavors in our food. It often manifests itself like ADHD/ADD. I know that this has been around for a loooong time. Back in the early 70's, our school district did the Kindergarten screenings at the mental health clinic. (??!!??) My brother was diagnosed then as hyperactive, and the screener suggested that my mom put him on Ritalin. Well, mom worked for a doc, saw the kids on Ritalin coming in all the time like zombies, and wanted no part of THAT. So, all the artificial stuff was taken out of our diet. It made a huge difference in my brother. And, I was so grateful for my grandmothers. (especially the one who liked to bake cookies!) It isn't so much JUNK food as it is the crap they put in all the food. I don't know why it is so necessary to add all those chemicals to our FOOD!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:16 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Good post Sisteract.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:23 AM on May. 18, 2010

• My response to this is... the reason allergies are on the rise is the processed foods... the fast foods ...the artificial crap in foods, the no longer at home made foods that we older moms used to have as children.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:37 AM on May. 18, 2010

• 29again.. red dye is a common culprit... my friend's son was like that and she took out all red dye foods and he calmed down
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:38 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Yes, I agree with the problems associated with all the processed, non- food items that are used as fillers in the foods many of us consume. The fewer ingredients an item contains, the better the food for you, generally speaking. The fresher and more locally produced the better.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:45 AM on May. 18, 2010