Is it polite to register for gifts?

I am getting married next month and after alot of convincing from my Mother, I set up a gift registry. She told me that guest prefer it and it was polite. I felt the opposite as I feel kind of weird asking for certain gifts when people are kind enough to bring a gift anyway. I still couldnt bring myself to include the registry info with the invitations but I do have it linked on our wedding website just incase anybody is set on looking at it. I just dont want people to feel obligated to bring gifts, especially ones that I picked out myself??? Whats your take as a wedding guest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• In my area it is expected that the bride and groom register. It's very common and I prefer it. I always get something from the registery because then I know they really want it - they picked it out! When I got married - I didn't like it when I received a gift not on my registery. I know that's probably bad - but I registered for a reason, so I would get what I wanted and needed. Most of the gifts we got that were not on the registery went back and if we couldn't take them back they were sold or given away.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 11:07 PM on May. 17, 2010

• its way easier to register that way people don't have to guess about what to give you. i have been to alot of weddings and i love when couple use the registry because i am getting them something that they will actually use and it prevents people from being you the same thing if they shop at the same store
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:11 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I think it is fine.
    Anonymous

• I think it's fine, and I usually buy off the registry for gifts for the bridal shower, then give a card with money at the wedding.
    Anonymous

• It's much easier on everyone if there is a registry. By registering for gifts you will get something you need rather than getting something you'll have to return later. It also cuts back on guests trying to figure out what to get you versus the chances of getting you the same thing as 10 other people have also bought.
    Anonymous

• I think you did the right thing. A registry is perfectly acceptable. Adding that info in with your invitation is not!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 11:40 PM on May. 17, 2010

• While socially acceptable, gift registries feel like begging to me.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:29 AM on May. 18, 2010