normal development?

my 10 month old still doesnt talk. my 2 year old was saying a lot by now, like body parts and animals and animal noises. i mean, we kinda think the oldest was really early and super smart, and we know that all kids are different, but is the youngest on track or behind? and if he is behind is it cuz he isnt getting enough attention?

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 10:58 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• normal for a 10 month old to not talk yet. my son was like oyur first, all mouth! but he had a little friend, and they were both 2, and she only knew what a dog, cat and elephant was at the age of 2! every child is different, i wouldnt worry too much.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 11:22 PM on May. 17, 2010

• lol. i laugh in a comforting way, not at you dear, no child is like another. the oldest might be more vocal because they like to explore more and are 'go getters' to put it plainly. children that do not talk are not always behind, not until 2 years should you worry seriously, perhaps the younger one doesn't talk because the eldest does it often? they might just be listening to the eldest and see no need to talk just yet. a quiet kiddo shows an introverted mind (don't read too into that) it shows more of a child who seeks out the world around them with caution and studies more intently. having them be totally different in a lot of ways is great for celebrating diversity and teaching the one how they could learn form the other later in life. (my brother and i were your kids ) i talked all the time and it was found out he didn't because he looked up to me and loved to hear what i had to say.. lol! and here i am still chatty. :)
    IndieJones

Answer by IndieJones at 11:26 PM on May. 17, 2010

• try not to compare. My mom loves to say to me "you were born talking but you couldn't walk until you were almost two." My brother could tell time at age three, but couldn't tie his shoes until he was 9. Each one is unique- that's all. No need to worry at this point!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 11:38 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Every child is different. Our children have all spoken a lot, and well before they were one like your first. We have relatives with children who haven't talked really at all even at two or three years old. I wouldn't worry this early. It might have something to do with how much the parents talk. My husband and I rarely shut up and neither do our kids!
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:09 AM on May. 18, 2010

• My ten month old only says mama dada baba nyny (for night night) good and more.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:44 AM on May. 18, 2010

• My son is going to be12 months on the 4th and i cant even get him to say mama or dada. he will talk to his toys but not real words. I wouldnt worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 18, 2010