I'm just curious, How long did it take you nursing mothers to get the hang of breastfeeding? And was there anything that surprised you about it?

I'm very interested to know what i'm in store for. I'm mostly interested in things that you learned after doing it. :)

soymodelo111

Asked by soymodelo111 at 11:01 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son latched on within the first 10 minutes and we never really had a problem with it. I never took a class or anything. Before we left the hospital, lactation consultants came by, but I didn't need them. Nurses tried to tell me what to do, but I just listened to my intuition. If a newborn baby can do it without instructions, why can't a new mommy? I realize it's not this easy for everyone, but I think if you're healthy and have a natural childbirth, you'll be just fine!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:55 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I bf for 5 months and never got the hang of it. I didn't know how hard it would be and how much it would hurt!!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 11:04 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Several days...almost a week. It was suprisingly easy, but when my milk came in, it was discouraging because of the pain!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:05 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Instantly... but it had nothing to do with me... it was all my kid. She latched on first thing and drank so fast we were both sweating. She has always been text book.
    Anonymous

• wow, did either of you take any classes? i'm surprised that it always hurt. also, dbodani, did you do breastmilk only the whole 5 months?
    soymodelo111

Answer by soymodelo111 at 11:08 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Yes, only one LLL class. But, it hurt because my boobs were extremely engorged, not because of her.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:14 PM on May. 17, 2010

• If my first hadn't been so easy I don't know if I would have nursed my second past the first week. The pain when my milk came in with my second was so bad. My normally b cups were each the size of a cantaloupe, god it hurt. But since I had already been through it I knew it would get better, so I stuck it out.
    I think that it is hard for the first six-10 weeks and then is soooo easy, much easier than bottles and formula
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:14 PM on May. 17, 2010

• doesn't sound like fun to deal with the pain.....but the benefits FAR outweigh the annoyances in my opinion :)
    soymodelo111

Answer by soymodelo111 at 11:16 PM on May. 17, 2010

• My first took a while I wanted to quit daily! I never realized it would be so hard. I would say the first month was the worst. I was sore,exhausted and he did not latch on well. But we did get it FINALLY and he nursed 10mos. My second was a natural and a piece of cake. My thrid was not as hard as my first but not as easy as my second. AFter the first you are more relaxed and just know what to do so I think that helps!
    Anonymous

• it surprises me how hard it can be. It's nice that you stuck through it. a lot of women just quit.
    soymodelo111

Answer by soymodelo111 at 11:28 PM on May. 17, 2010