So, I'm a bad mom..?

My friend just told me I'm a bad mom for the simple fact that I go out once...maybe twice a MONTH. I have an 8 month old, I'm 18 years old and I work 30+ hours a week. During the week everyday is like this : I wake up and take care of my daughter, take her places, play with her, just spend time with her and then I go to work and work til 11 or 12 at night. Get home, sleep and do it all over again. So...one or two saturdays out of the month I go hang out with my girls. I've been out all night twice and it went like this : I put the baby to bed, got ready, left and was home before the baby woke up. Every other time I've "gone out" was to the movies or shopping for a few hours. Yet, somehow I need to "get my ducks in a row," I have a job, I spend all day with my daughter, I loooove my little girl, I'm taking online college courses, I'm saving all my money and I'm starting college in the fall. Reallyy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• Starting college in the fall, meaning I'm actually going to be taking classes on campus, not just online.
    Anonymous

• What's with your friend? I a big believer that a little time away makes for better parenting.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 11:27 PM on May. 17, 2010

• your not a bad mom. You sound like you are doing awesome. I do not really go out I probably should but I do not want to go out that often. What some need for time to themself is different from what you need. Its not like your out every night and you are being sure the baby is well cared for. Some believe moms should not ever go out and should be home with their LO. Keep up the good work!
    Anonymous

• sounds like your a great mom who still manages to find a little time for herself so she doesnt go completely crazy! congratulations! absolutely nothing wrong with that! let me guess, does your friend have any kids? and if she does, does she consider herself a bad mom every time she comes and hangs with you? sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me!
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 11:29 PM on May. 17, 2010

• She is jealous of you plain and simple, and trying to make you feel bad. Dump her she is a weight.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:30 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I'm at my friends house every Friday. It's our thing. My kids are home with my husband. It's time away and also time for work. We are both writers and that is when we bounce idea, edit, etc. So it's a kill two bird with one stone kind of thing.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 11:32 PM on May. 17, 2010

• So...one or two saturdays out of the month I go hang out with my girls. I've been out all night twice and it went like this : I put the baby to bed, got ready, left and was home before the baby woke up.

I know your not leaving your baby home alone RIGHT? Just sounded kind of crazy the way you worded it. If you're baby is being cared for while your are out then I don't think there's anything wrong with going out every now and then, but it doesn't have to be twice every month what about just chilling at home sometimes with baby? I do agree tho,everyone needs a little time away.
    Anonymous

• Ok, I'm assuming you're not leaving the baby alone.... I didn't see anything about a babysitter. But, yeah, I don't have any friends to go out with at night, but if I could, i would now and then. I get an hour here and there when i leave DS (also 8 months) with DH so I can go grocery shopping and have a turkey sandwich!
    Anonymous

• lol anon but I agree as long as you have a sitter haha...if I don't get "me" time I get frazzled and feel super stressed... it sounds like she is jealous to me too... keep trucking mama
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:51 PM on May. 17, 2010

• OP Here:

Anon :43....do you really think I'd post this question asking if I'm a bad mom if I were leaving her ALONE? I didn't think I needed to elaborate, I'm pretty sure most normal people wouldn't leave a baby alone. My mother watches her.

And what about chilling at home with baby? Really? I think I already said I'm at home with her every other day that I'm not out...that includes weekends when I'm not out.

That wasn't the point.
    Anonymous