Too early or okay?

We will be moving when my daughter is about 14 months, I was considering taking this time to get her an up grade to furniture from the crib bed to a big girl bed, we do not have the money to buy a toddler bed then a few years later change it out so she would get a twin. Is this too soon or will it be okay if I put up the guards at the side of the bed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son went straight from a crib to a twin bed. i see nothing wrong with this, and if you put it close enough to the floor, you dont have to use gaurds either. i see no problem with whatever way you wanna do it, she should be fine.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 11:53 PM on May. 17, 2010

• We never did toddler beds, just went straight to a twin... I don't see why it would be a bad thing! For centuries people didn't have toddler beds and everyone survived!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:53 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Most people on Cafemom seem to move their kids very early to me. I think under 18 months is so young for a bed.

.....I think at least 2 is better for a toddler bed or twin bed. Also it's just safer to me to keep a baby in a crib not in a twin bed even if railings. She is still too young to help herself if she got stuck etc...The above statement of "everyone survived" is kind of dumb considering I am sure there have been a few deaths of children getting stuck or suffocating. Not everyone survives everything !!! Not saying you need a toddler bed, going to a twin would be fine, but I think you should wait a few months longer.

Also another good reason is the move will be a big change and it would be nice for her to sleep somewhere familiar like her crib for the first month or so at least.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on May. 18, 2010

• You always have the option of buying a twin bed and only setting up the mattress. That way she is only inches from the floor.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 12:06 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Answered at 12:00 AM on May. 18, 2010 by: Anonymous
    Most people on Cafemom seem to move their kids very early to me. I think under 18 months is so young for a bed.

THIS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I agree, my daughters moved at least a full year past this (like 26 months or older). We even kept our new baby in a pack n' play because the older one still needed her crib. I would wait until there's a real reason to move her and then go straight to a twin. Worked great for us. None of the issues I read about on here all the time about kids getting out of bed constantly...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:09 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I also have to agree somewhat with anon...considering a move will probably a lot for her! Move her first, let her adjust then switch to a twin bed. I think that would help her feel more secure in the new house instead of adjusting to a new house and a new place/way to sleep!

As far as age.. I moved dd into a toddler bed at 13 mos because she was tangling herself in the bars during her sleep. When I came in the next morning her limbs would be purple and the toddler bed I had was given to me from a neighbor. Otherwise I would have laid a twin mattress on the floor because it's only inches from the ground (like a toddler bed but more practical later!) Also, my dd has never gotten out of bed to explore the house, when it's bedtime we shut her door and she knows not to open it until we come and get her in the morning
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:52 PM on May. 18, 2010

• A twin bed is fine. I don't really think there is a set age for making the transition. I know toddlers who started climbing out of the crib at 13 months. It was no longer safe to keep them in there. Most experts say at least 15 months before you switch them from a crib.

I do agree with letting her get adjusted to the move and new house before you switch her bed. We moved my daughters room around, and she had a hard time sleeping the first few nights. I cannot imagine how hard it would be for her if we moved, and took her bed away.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 6:54 PM on May. 18, 2010