My 1 month old keeps throwing up alot & I breast feed. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks

nikkimia

Asked by nikkimia at 11:59 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Reflux or possibly an abnormality in the digestive track that might need surgery....

Also a dairy allergy could be a issue or other food allergens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on May. 18, 2010

• No personal experience with this but a good friend of mine was in the same position. It ended up being reflux and the Dr prescribed Prilosec and things have greatly improved.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 12:03 AM on May. 18, 2010

• haha breast milk is not dairy
    anyway
    my son was like this for the first 6 months..the doc called him a "happy Puker"
    basically reflux
    i was told to
    try feeding less, but more often so his belly didnt get so full
    make sure your not eating a lot of unhealthy foods or gassy foods because that doesnt help,

but for the most part its okay as long as you tell your doc and your baby still gains weight it should be okay
    normal for my son
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:06 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Define a lot. A lot of babies under three months spit up some. If you have a forceful let down that can cause gulping of air and spitting up, that can be remedied until the baby is big enough to handle the flow.  Go to http://www.kellymom.com/ for info, and also visit http://www.drjacknewman.com/

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:08 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Your kidding right DomoniqueWS...

Duh breastmilk is NOT dairy but a child with a dairy allergy or sensitivity can have issues if the mom EATS dairy as what a mom eats and drinks passes into breastmilk !!! Just like you said to avoid gassy foods it's the same as avoiding allergen triggers in a baby who might have certain sensitivities.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on May. 18, 2010

• oh and if you mean a lot like after every feeding, thats how my son was...he now is 6 months and has barely stopped it
    he weighs a wopping 18lbs and gained weight normally....so dont be too worried
    try what i suggested and while breast feeding have baby in an incline upward position and do not lay him/her down for about 10 minutes, let gravity help
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:12 AM on May. 18, 2010

• oh lol ... i thot you were saying it like breast milk was dairy and baby was allergic to it

ahahaha i get it
    thanx 4 helpin me out, i was mucho confused :)
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:13 AM on May. 18, 2010

• No problem !!! Haha...simple miscommunication no biggie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on May. 18, 2010

• my first would eat and then throw up right after. . . My doc said it was the tummy getting too full so I fed more often for a shorter length of time. After that the throwing up stopped. Oh and he was breastfed too. . . If you are concerned talk to your doctor.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 12:17 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I have a son with sever silent reflux, I agree with DomoniqueWS about feeding an incline and keeping him upright after meals but I was told to keep up right for half hour after but my DS has to be upright 24/7 and even sleeps on a 45* angle. you can PM me if you would like. I have found a great way to nurse DS upright if you are interested but I think its mostly just trial and error finding what works. GL
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 12:19 AM on May. 18, 2010