My 8 month old used to go to sleep with no problems but now he fights it and even laughs at me when I lay him down, anyone else had this problem?

I have no problems with naps, he takes two a day usu. one about an hour or two after waking up which is 8:30 am and another around 6 or 7 in the evening his bedtime is 9:30. But he fights it, rolling around, laughing and popping his but up and down (it's cute and all but I need to get him to sleep so I can get things done). I read him stories, nurse him I just don't know what changed. any advice would be helpful.

NolaMama313

Asked by NolaMama313 at 12:16 AM on May. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you walk away does he cry, or is he still happy? I usually rock or nurse my DS to sleep, but lately he's been not falling asleep till I put him down, or if he does fall asleep, he wakes up. More and more often, I just leave him because my very presence keeps him awake. Sometimes he just talks himself to sleep happily, sometimes he cries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on May. 18, 2010

• if hes taking a nap at 6 or 7, 9:30 might be too early for him. my son took a nap today at 6 until almost 8 ... so hes still up right now. its midnight. i just let him play in his jumper & on the floor until hes tired himself out. and a nice warm bath with john&johnson help baby sleep better soap & lotion works good too..
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:19 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Yes-- now it takes over an hour to get my little guy to sleep. I noticed a lot of developmental changes happening with him-- crawling, holding onto things while standing up, climbing, more teething, etc., that I think he must be in hyperdrive and getting him wound down just takes longer.

I'm figuring it's just another phase. Not too helpful, I know, but sometimes it's nice to know you're not the only one. :)
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:20 AM on May. 18, 2010

• What changed is that he's older and likely not tired. If it takes you an hour to get him to sleep, why not just put him to bed an hour later!?

Chores can wait or you can wear your baby while you do them. Babies love to watch mom labor and toil. They think it is great fun.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:22 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I didn't see his bedtime.... most pediatric sleep specialists recommend an earlier bedtime. My 8-month-old goes to bed at 7 pm (actually, it was 6 tonight because he got to bed late last night) and he's just started sleeping until 2-3 a.m. for a feeding, then till 7 a.m.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Thank you all for the helpful answers. If I walk away from him he sits up and starts playing and crawling and he'll rub his eyes but still won't give up playing. I think your right busimommi I guess I have to get used to a longer winding down now that he's older and more active.
    NolaMama313

Answer by NolaMama313 at 1:27 PM on May. 18, 2010