How do you begin to wean baby from bottle?

My son is 11 months old today and I want to start getting ready to wean him from bottle to sippy cup. We will be switching him to whole milk at 12 months. Any advice?

pderwin

Asked by pderwin at 2:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The Nuby siipies are fantastic! I weaned my son when he was 8 1/2 months old. Our pedi told us to start when he held his own bottle. So if your LO is doing that, you should be all ready to go!
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 4:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• if you have trouble getting him to use sippys try a sippy cup with a STRAW, they are technically labled for older toddlers but it doesnt hurt a thing to try him on it. my girls were 10 months when we tried to intro the sippy, i bought 4 different kinds of "regular" ones and had no luck but they took to the straw ones immediately and tossed the bottles at 10 and a half months. and now they are 15 months and are interested in regular cups and know how they work so the straw doesnt affect that either.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• cold turkey. If your child understands it, explain to him that the bottle fairy is going to come and take his bottles to little babies who need them, and that he is doing a good thing for babies all over.Emphasize that only little babies need bottles. This will make him feel like a big kid and feel like hes contributing to someone else. We fake mailed them, and in the a.m. there was a letter from the bottle fairy. Worked like a charm on my younger sister. For a long time if she seen a baby w/ a bottle she would say "your welcome". lol
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2008