why do people look down on SAHM's?

I have seen so many posts lately with women criticizing SAHM's. Why do they think we don't contribute? And have they considered that the cost of daycare makes it just silly for some of us to work? And then there are also those like me that have a breast fed baby that won't take a bottle no matter what. So with the cost of daycare and the fact that I am literally the only person that can feed my daughter, why am I still criticized because my only job is taking care of my family?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 1:17 AM on May. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• idk why. boredom, or bitter i guess.
    i do both
    SAHM for most of the year, and for 2 months of the year I am in my office maybe 5 hours everyday, which isnt bad
    and for 4 months I am there 10 maybe 12 hours monday thru friday and 4-5 on the weekend, very draining and I dont like it at all

I dont put my LO in daycare, i breast feed too, i pump or have my SO bring him by the office a couple times a day if i have to, when im working that is
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:21 AM on May. 18, 2010

• go sahms!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:21 AM on May. 18, 2010

• ok, didn't see previous post about this, but if you have something to add, feel free :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:21 AM on May. 18, 2010

• People dont realize that if I worked IT would put us on PA.Daycare is 800.DH is Military and I want to be home with my children when he deploys.My husband never looks at it has HIS money.ITS OURS.In fact when I was the only one working I supported us.We are adults..its what adults do they grow up lol.If my hubby dies we have INSURANCE..smart people do that lol.If he leaves me I would be FINE.My husband is a great man.NOT just because I love him..BUT he is a very nice person.i am very lucky :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:28 AM on May. 18, 2010

• that's another thing, people that say I'm screwed if my husband dies just don't get it. I have work experience and am educated. It's not like I am not qualified, it's that the money I would make would go straight to day care. I totally understand what you are saying about being home while hubby is deployed, mine is deployed as we speak.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:33 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I don't I was one but had no choice but go back to work when i threw the jerk out and now am the head of household. I miss just waking up with the baby and not having to worry about going to work, being away from him 9 hours a day. Pumping (loads of fun lol) and all the rest of the crap that goes along with being a working mom. Employers are the worst too. They never seem to have children and do not understand yea sometimes we have to call out for emergencies, sometimes we have to go home early we are mothers.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 1:35 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I have no idea. I couldn't imagine going to work everyday and dropping off my child. I HAD to do that with my first child and I felt so bad. In all fairness a lot of women on this site rip on working moms too.
    I strongly believe that you just do whatever works best for you! I don't think staying at home is anymore wrong/right than going to work.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:36 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Yes it goes both ways as well. I have been made to feel bad even though i work out of having no choice. One woman said i would rather stay home and get on welfare than do what you do lol. She is married though and has never been there to make the decision.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 1:38 AM on May. 18, 2010

• The dirt slinging goes both ways on Cafe Mombetween working moms and stay at home moms. If you are doing the best for your family and for yourself why do you care what perfect strangers online think about your life?
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 1:41 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I work part time now but I used to be a sahm and that job isn't easy by far, I'm lucky cuz my mom watches my babies for free otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford to work with the price of daycare.  As for people that criticize ignore them, they have nothing better to do but to cling on mothers that stay at home, breastfeed, etc. etc. whatever other reason they don't agree with and then bitch about it.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:45 AM on May. 18, 2010