DH got a lecture in a parking lot today from a woman with an infant about our 2 year old rear-facing lol

Anything like this happen to anyone else? Some random lady sat there watching DH put our daughter in her rear-facing carseat and then asked him how old she was. When he said two, said to him like he was an idiot "you know you can turn her around now?" He said yeah but we're waiting for her to hit the weight limit because it's safer. Then she says "well she has to weigh more than 20lbs? And DH says yeah but this carseat can rear-face up to 35lbs.

I'm sure she left thinking he was an idiot lol. Who they hell does that though? I mean I don't think 1 year olds should be front facing but I don't share that with total strangers in parking lots! And I wonder if she would have said anything if I were there and not "the dumb dad"? I would had a lot more fun "lecturing her back" lol.

Blueliner

Asked by Blueliner at 1:39 AM on May. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My daughter is 22 months, 28lbs, 36 inches, still rear facing and her legs don't even touch the seat. Everyone is always exaggerating about the leg room. A broken leg, hell TWO BROKEN LEGS are better than internal capitation! Legs can be fixed....dead can't.

I swear some people do not use their brains AT ALL!

I had an acquaintance say "She's still rear facing? You can turn them at like 6 months, ya know?" All I could think was WOW.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:03 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I never heard about ERF until I joined cafemom. I was a total alien to it actually. If i wouldn't have learned it on here, I would have thought it was strange too lol.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:53 AM on May. 18, 2010

• my daughter was turned around facing forward at the age of 1 and she wasn't over 35 lbs. it actually dangerous to have your daughter rear facing, if she has to bend her knees to sit in rear facing, time to turn it around for her leg room... my daughter is now almost 4 and she already in the booster seat since she was almost 3 yrs old...she tall for her age, it doesn't matter of the weight, it which ever comes first... knowing this cause i have a BIL who is a cop
    creneep83

Answer by creneep83 at 1:55 AM on May. 18, 2010

• as long as the weight limits say so and her legs do too, you can keep her rear facing as long as you want. i woulda given that lady an earful. i hate when people try and tell random strangers how to parent. i had my son at a laundry mat at 2 weeks, and a lady scolded me for having him out. what else was i supposed to do? not wash my clothes. i cant stop my life and never go anywhere because i have a baby.
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 2:10 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Everything I've read says it's safe even without the leg room... she might break a leg that way but she's a lot less likely to break her neck. I'd take a broken leg over a broken neck any day.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:10 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Some articles talking about the safety benefits of extended rear-facing:

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx

http://www.justmommies.com/preschoolers/child-safety/pros-and-cons-extended-rear-facing-car-seat-use

AAP article: "Toddlers should remain rear-facing in a convertible car seat until they have reached the maximum height and weight recommended for the model, or at least the age of 2."

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/30/4/12-a?rss=1
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:31 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Your BIL cop is wrong..... It does matter the minimum is 20 pounds and 1 year !!! Not because your child is tall !!!

With that said the new recommendation is starting to come out as waiting until age 2 to foward face and it's proven safe to rear face longer. I don't even think kids do break their legs, that might be some myth. A broken leg though would be better than a broken neck.

I think you need to start doing some reading !!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I don't know if this is your first child or what...but get used to nosy people who stop you to make comments.....about carseats, food, parenting, discipline, what you buy, how you dress them.....everything.
    We have two boys and I lost count of how many times I've been approached by people with opinions. Take what you can use, ignore the rest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on May. 18, 2010

• my car seat is also max 35 lb weight limit. i plan to keep my baby in it for as long as she fits comfortably. besides, i heard that car seats aren't good after 5 years anyways so might as well get the full use out of it. and with the base, it does leave a bit of leg room. 35 lb or when she gets too tall. shoot my stepdaughter is 3 and shes only 32 lb.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Yes it's my 1st but she's 25 months and I haven't had total strangers share their parenting opinions yet lol.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:50 AM on May. 18, 2010