Why is my preschooler pooping in the yard??

Hello, everyone! I have a crazy dilemma. My perfectly normal, 100% potty trained 4-year old daughter has started this bizarre behavior just yesterday.
My husband caught her out in the yard with her pants half down, scooping her fecal matter into a cup, trying to hide it!
It's not like she couldn't hold it, because she actually CAME IN, got toilet paper, THEN pooped outside!
She got poop on her and had to take a bath. She promised not to do it again, but I couldn't get an answer out of her as to WHY she would want to do that.
Well today, I caught her taking a roll of toilet paper outside, and when I asked what she was doing, she confessed she already pooped in the yard again! We have neighbors on both sides and live by a road, in town!
Why is she doing this, and aside from keeping a closer watch on her, how can I stop it? Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing?

FlyingLotusFire

Asked by FlyingLotusFire at 1:39 AM on May. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Haha! Sorry I had to laugh. This is the most bizzare thing I've heard all week!!! Why would she do this-do you have a dog that she could be copying? i would start taking her favorite toys away from her if/when she does this and then I would give them back to her when she pooped in the toilet. Kids are crazy! Good luck.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:45 AM on May. 18, 2010

• That is going to be the BEST story to tell her Boyfriends LOL

I wish i had an answer for you.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:52 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I don't know if she is acting out or what?! The weird thing is, she is going in the toilet usually, but she has pooped in the yard two times in two days and now I am worried it will continue! I am having flashbacks of when my brother was a baby and smeared poop all over the entire bathroom. What did I do to deserve this??
    FlyingLotusFire

Answer by FlyingLotusFire at 1:55 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Hey at least she is still using toilet paper !!!

Hmm I would have a talk with her about what made her think of doing this and why....Maybe she saw or heard something that triggered the new behavior.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on May. 18, 2010

• That's true... at least she is using toilet paper and not leaves.. well I have a 4 yr old lil girl and she does some pretty weird stuff as well ex. count our dogs nipples, used a diaper and pooped in it when we were baby-sitting etc... . maybe she is just being a kid.. or maybe she saw an animal pooping on the floor.. Maybe she saw survivor.. maybe she is scared of falling into the toilet. or maybe this could be something really serious, like she has experienced some type of a sexual abuse and is scared of being pant-less in a private room????
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 5:59 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Thanks guys. She hasn't done it today..yet(fingers crossed!!)
    FlyingLotusFire

Answer by FlyingLotusFire at 4:16 PM on May. 18, 2010