How did your first do with a new baby?

I'm expecting in July and I have a three year old daughter. Both her daddy and I love her very very much, and sometimes I worry about how she'll do when the baby comes. I worry she might get jealous or feel like we don't love her as much anymore. How do we assure her that we love her ever as much as before?

We try to keep her involve with the pregnancy. We talk about how she's going to be a big sister, we encourage her to say hi to the baby and feel her kicking. So hopefully that will help, but I still worry.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 3:08 AM on May. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i was worried about that with my son and my new baby. he was the baby at the time and i thought i was going to have a huge problem because he was a huge mommas boy. what i did was after the baby got here was make time for my other two kids with just mommy. liked i would take them to the park or take them out for ice cream. just us with out the baby. she is now 8 months old and i think he likes her more than his big brother. he always wants to play with her and get her to laugh. good luck with you new lil one.
    csnook

Answer by csnook at 3:12 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Well im pregno with my 2nd child.. and the hubby and I are planning on letting our daughter " take charge" of the baby, like help with feeding, and diaper changing.. we have also decided that we wont be too delicate with the newborn and actually let out daughter be "hand-on" lol we also are thinking of " Ami and mommy time " " Daddy and Ami time"
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 5:42 AM on May. 18, 2010

• yes they'll be some jealousy it's human nature. How you respond to it is what will make or break it. My oldest was 3 when my son was born. However through the whole pregnancy she was involved. Went to doctors appointments and ultrasound, helped pick out clothes, his name toys and fix up his room. After the baby was born she became a huge help. And every day she got one on one time with mom and dad and got tot do things the baby was just too little to do. She's 16 and he's 13 and to this day are very close.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:06 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I had my second when my older son was 2.9 yrs. There was very little jealousy when my younger son was a newborn. Now that my baby is older (he is 10 months now) the jealousy is daily. I think now my older son sees his brother as competition - with attention from mommy and daddy and with toys (both his and the babies toys....he wants them all). It's a daily battle.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 8:44 AM on May. 18, 2010