I need help working with my ADD son with his Algebra.

How do you do things without medication? How do you stay focused? What can I do to help him work on something that requires so much concentration? We homeschool, so I am actually teaching him his work. I am patient, and when he can focus, he does understand. But he cannot work on his own. I have to sit with him. He is 15 and normally works on his own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on May. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Normally works on his own for other subjects....with breaks. :( Does that make sense?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on May. 18, 2010

• You could try "chunking" the material, which means presenting it is smaller portions. So, if you want him to do 20 problems, maybe only have him do 5 in a single session, w/breaks in between to do other work. Or, if the problem is being able to focus on a single problem at a time, you can use a cover sheet w/a section cut out to show only one problem at a time so that he doesn't get overwhelmed by seeing all of the problems at once. You could also try having him do something physical (gross motor) just prior to sitting down to do the algebra b/c such activity can help the brain to focus better, especially if the activity takes place outdoors. And finally, if it seems like he is struggling with the algebra problems themselves, then he might just need a review of basic skills to boost his confidence with the material.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on May. 18, 2010