Does anyone else have trouble getting there son up in the morning?

Starting next school year we will change our schedule, right now I try to get him at 5:30a, so I can be at work at 7a, it's miserable for both of us, but it was the best I could do, I'm a single mom and he's 6 going on 7 in sept.

Chandlerart

Asked by Chandlerart at 7:23 AM on May. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My policy was that I'll tell you once, and after that it is your responsibility to get yourself out of bed. If I tried repeatedly, then they would think I was a snooze alarm and just wait until the third or fourth time.

Answer by Bmat at 7:25 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Make sure he's going to bed around 7 or 730am, and then try setting your alarm clock just a little early, and then go into his room and turn the tv or a radio on, slowly waking him up. The first thing we do here is breakfast... I used to try getting him dressed and ready first, but it was just too hard. Breakfast gets him up and awake, and moving a little faster. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on May. 18, 2010

• if possible, send him to bed earlier
    Anonymous

• I agree it sounds like he needs either an earlier nedtime or more slowdown time at the end of the night.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 4:39 AM on May. 20, 2010

• My son is and has always been like that...no matter if he had 12 hours of sleep or a long wind down time. I tried melatonin (1/4 of a tablet) and that helped him sleep deeper and wake up better. He is 14 and still like that. He isn't trying to be lazy and not mind...he literally does not wake up enough to know what's happening. I have to shake and yell to get him awake enough to realize what's going on. Then, he pops right out of bed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:08 PM on May. 20, 2010