Why do you think the Ancient Egyptians and Christians had two different views of the snake?

I notice that (just about) all the Egyptian Pharaohs had figures of a snake on the top of their head peace. They also had many elaborate beliefs about the snake. At the same time the bible mentions the snake as being evil.

Either symbolic or literal, what is your opinion?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 7:48 AM on May. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Actually, if you look in to Ancient Culture, they each seem to have an attraction to the snake. Egyptians, Aztecs, Mayans, even early Japanese and Chinese had a very spiritual view of the snake. Why? Because snakes are powerful! Snakes were physically small and appear weak, yet in each of these areas of the world deadly snakes were a way of life. They also seem to have an certain amount of mystery about them. They were a good thing and needed because they kept the rodent population down, however they were a bad thing because they would kill people as well... There was a certain balance there and the peoples understood that. I think that if you read the Bible though, you will see the Snake is shown as both a sign of gods power and as a "harbinger" of death... Although in OUR culture we seem to forget the good parts.

I have some information on this subject, but have to leave, so I'll post it when I get home...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:22 AM on May. 18, 2010

• sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:52 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Well, if you look at the history of snakes. They are something to be feared. The Egypitains wanted to be something to be feared. So they took on fearful looks. I have never seen anything from them saying that the snake is not fearful. So then we are still with the same thought that the snake is something to be feared from both cultures!
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 8:06 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I agree with tichelle in both cultures/religions the snake is "evil". That is why the Egyptians used them, to make people fear them.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:09 AM on May. 18, 2010

• That interesting, and it made me do some looking so here is one site I'd like to share. click here

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:12 AM on May. 18, 2010

• THERE ARE ACTUALLY TWO IN THE EGYPTIAN PANTHEON WHO ARE REPRESENTED BY SNAKES ONE IS GOOD AND THE OTHER IS EVIL: Wadjet was the protective goddess of Lower Egypt, her counterpart being the vulture goddess Nekhbet of Upper Egypt. Wadjet is most often depicted as a rearing cobra, and sometimes as a woman with a snake´s head and is frequently seen together with Nekhbet at the front of the nemes cloth, the headdress of kings.

Apep is depicted as a huge serpent with compressed coils to emphasis the size of it. He was thought to exist from the natural world, where he swallows up everything into non-existence which the Egyptians feared so greatly. Apep was also associated with various frightening natural events such as unexplained darkness such as solar eclipse, storms and earthquakes.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:13 AM on May. 18, 2010

• i looked it up and it said the snake symbol meant devine authority..so i'm agreeing with tichelle that the snake was feared and they thought it was the most feared and they wanted to be like the snake
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:17 AM on May. 18, 2010

• christians see jesus as devine authority and they see snakes as evil because of the serpant in the tree with the whole adam and eve thing...idk.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:18 AM on May. 18, 2010

• In the ancient Goddess religions that thrived for thousands of years before the bible was written, the serpent was seen as a symbol of the feminine wisdom and divinity of the goddess. The snake was actually revered and seen as wise. It was during the destruction (almost) of the goddess religions that those that were seeking to degrade this religion sought to make the symbol of the serpent evil. It was one way of degrading the prevailing religion in the area.

FemRising

Answer by FemRising at 9:39 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Actually... I just watched not to long ago on the history channel that the word snake may have been a mis translation and that the snake in the story of Moses and Pharoah was infact not a snake but a crocodile... Crocodiles were considered sacred to the Egyptians . Ill have to look for more on it later but it was an interesting show on it.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:08 AM on May. 18, 2010